CHAPTER FIVE

Metropolis
Two Weeks Later

Everything sucked.

Emma wanted nothing more than to crawl into a hole and never come out. Or better yet, sleep for an hour without her phone going off. The other day she debated on flushing it down her toilet. While she could just buy a new one after, the effort of having to do so was enough to make her decide not to flush her phone.

The past couple of weeks were the most exhausting weeks of her life. From getting the Metropolis Wayne Enterprises back up and running to managing the people who were still looking for jobs or homes through the Wayne Foundation.

Emma was practically a puddle of mush by the end of the day. She barely had any energy to drive her and Echo home. It almost got her thinking about getting a place within the city, but that quickly became a distant thought. There was no way Emma was moving to the city.

At the moment, Emma sat at her desk in the temporary Wayne building. Construction repairs of the new building were coming along well, which Emma was thankful for. Soon she and her workers would be able to get back to work in their new building, but that was still about a month away.

Emma rubbed her eyes with a sigh. "God I'm exhausted."

She turned to Echo, who laid in his bed next to her desk. The canine looked at her with a bit of a twinkle in his eyes. Emma smirked, already getting what Echo was emitting.

"You thinking what I'm thinking, bud?" Echo raised his head. His tail began to wag wildly. "Oh yeah," Emma said standing up and grabbing his leash. "Definitely on the same page."

_______________

The moment the delicious flavor of the noodles hit her, Emma sighed in relief. She was sat on a park bench eating out of a takeout box from a small Thai restaurant down the block. She always went there to get some Pad See Ew for herself and some meatballs for Echo, who was happily snacking on them next to her.

Emma would go whenever she felt stressed. The food brought a comfort to her. All she had to do was find a nice, quiet place to sit and enjoy her noodles.

Emma looked down to Echo. The dog was still munching away on his snack as he looked up to her.

She laughed. "Careful," she said. "Don't inhale them."

Of course, Echo ate however he wanted. Emma shook her head and took another bite of her food. She let her gaze wander around her. The park she was in was damaged during the attack, but thankfully restoration of the city had picked up quickly. Trees that had been destroyed were replaced with younger trees planted by volunteers. The little pond at the center of the park had to be drained and was refilled. Just time time before the chill of winter came.

Every winter the pond would freeze over and people would ice skate on it. She enjoyed watching kids playing hockey or parents teaching their kids to skate.

She remembered when she tried ice skating when she was younger. It was almost as bad as when she was learning to swim. She fell probably a hundred times. Countless scrapes and bruises covered her hands and knees, even though she was wearing thick ass winter gear.

But everytime she fell, her brother was there to help her stand up again.

Emma's smile slowly faded as the memories of her ice skating lessons with her brother replayed in her mind. She didn't talk about Jason very much, but she thought of him a lot. She wondered what Jason would do if he were still alive.

He most likely would have given Emma a sibling shoulder punch and told her to snap out of it. Emma chuckled. Yeah, that sounds like Jason.

'I miss you, Jason,' Emma thought.