The Shocking Side-Effect Part 1

"Do you really want to know why I hate lies and secrets so much? Shall I tell you?" Piper murmured, her voice thick with defeat.

Abby didn't answer as she stared at Piper, unsure of how to react. "Uh... I..."

But Piper didn't seem to hear Abby. It was almost as though she were in a daze as she began to speak, her voice faraway sounding and full of sorrow. "Before I came to Emitra City, my life was... rough, to say the least. My father, he was extremely manipulative. When I was a toddler, he would sneak into my room in the dead of night, when my mother was asleep. He would take me down to the basement and run blood tests, chemical tests, and many other tests of his own creation."

Piper paused, unsure how to phrase the next sentence. "I have this... ability... you see, and so does he. He wanted to measure the extent of my ability when I was still young. Then, he began playing mind games with me, manipulating me so I was obedient. He used many tactics on me and my mom both. Then he left and...said something...that forever changed me. The only good part of my life in Quilyss, the only person keeping me going, was Bella. And I chased her away, too. He... he was right, my dad was. No one should ever get close to me." She trailed off, tears choking her.

Abby was shocked and she slowly patted Piper. "I... had no idea. But Piper, you can't listen to your dad! He is so wrong; he knows nothing about you! You're amazing, and don't you ever let him or anyone else tell you differently."

Piper blinked in surprise, then looked at the ground. "Thank you... but you're right. You have no idea. I'm not as good as you think I am."

Abby sighed in exasperation. She grabbed Piper's shoulders and shook her. "Listen to me. Your dad is wrong. He is a lying scumbag, so don't listen to him, ok?"

Piper smiled faintly. "Thanks Abby. I don't deserve your friendship." She said quietly.

"See, there's your problem! You DO deserve my friendship! You need more self-esteem," Abby lectured.

Piper rolled her eyes playfully. "Like you're much better about that."

Abby smiled and slapped Piper's shoulder teasingly. "Oh, shut up, would you?"

Piper grinned, but there was still an air of sorrow lingering in the room. "Abby, it's rude to tell someone to shut up," Piper joked.

Abby simply laughed and looked toward the hospital ward. "I hate to leave Keirsten in there, but I want to go to the library to begin research on Keirsten's memory loss. Want to come with?" She asked.

Piper hesitated, then shook her head. "I...I think I'll stay here. With Keirsten, you know? I'd hate to leave her on her own."

"Yeah, that's probably for the best," Abby agreed.

Piper was about to enter the hospital ward, when a loud, high-pitched scream pierced the silence. Piper and Abby looked to one another grimly. They knew who that scream belonged to. It was Keirsten's.

I know the chapter is extremely short today, but everything has been so chaotic lately and I haven't had enough time on here LOL. Please make sure to vote and comment, as any and all support means so much to me!! Enjoy your Friday :)