Chapter 5: Atlas The Guardian

Hermione spent most of the next few days in her room, her stomach having violently rejected the rich food that she'd eaten too much of too soon. She had headaches and nausea and the healer told her she should go back to chicken soup and tea, but make sure to take her supplement potions every morning.

"Sometimes, when you finally have a moment to relax, your body gives out after being strong for so long. I suspect you'll be back to your old self in no time." Moonstone said, her tone light and friendly. "I heard you had your first...client. Did everything go ok?"

"I suppose," Hermione said, lying back on her pillow. She'd quickly grown to like the healer: her motherly quality, her speech rhythms and her gentle touch. It was a rare find in such a sharp world. "He gave me a lust potion."

Moonstone came closer, standing beside the bed, speaking softly.

"Does Mr. Malfoy know that?" She asked, her face twisted with concern. "Did you have any side effects?"

"Just a hangover. Yes, he knows. He was...angry with me. More worried I guess."

"I suspect your client will probably get a stern warning, he may be blocked from coming back entirely. Mr. Malfoy doesn't take his position as caretaker lightly. He runs a tight ship."

Although she was beginning to believe that this wasn't your ordinary wizard brothel, Hermione still snorted, rolling her eyes, a bit unnerved by everyone casting Malfoy as some sort of benevolent knight in shining armor. Moonstone caught it and gave her a disapproving look.

"I've been with him here since the beginning. Since the day he brought in his first two girls. They were bruised and beaten, malnourished like you...they'd had their money stolen, one of them had her magic stolen, wand broken and was enslaved..."

"And what happened? Are they still here?" Hermione asked, her place at the Shattered Dragon becoming more confusing rather than getting clearer.

"One of them received an offer from a client to leave with him. He bought out her contract and she quit. The other was here for years...until she got sick." Moonstone paused, her brow deeply furrowed. "We lost her. It weighed heavily on him." She finished packing her potions and books and made a few quick notes on a parchment. "You've taken her place so the constellation can be complete again."

"But why me? He hates me. Always has."

"I guess you'll have to ask him, love. But I know that he doesn't reveal much, not until he's good and ready to do so."

Theo came back a week later, approaching Draco in the bar immediately upon his arrival.

"You've got some heavy stones coming back here so soon, Nott," Draco said, draining his drink and signaling for another. "You know I'm not opposed to magical enhancements, but that you snuck her a lust potion? Fed it to her without her knowing? I should terminate your fucking membership."

"C'mon mate, it was her first night! Besides, it's Granger! I thought she was going to claw my eyes out. I'm pleased to report that wasn't the case however..."

"Don't do it again," Draco growled, looking him dead in the eye. "Nothing unexpected, nothing she doesn't know about. You know the rules."

Theo rolled his eyes and waved him off, nodding in assent before leaning in to Draco's ear.

"She's delicious. I want her again. Tonight."

"She's not available," Draco said, the lie falling easily from his lips. "As you can imagine she's in high demand. You're not the only one interested in sticking it to the class swot. Even if she were free what makes you think I would do you any favors? I wouldn't trust you with a Knockturn slag at this point."