Chapter 24: Caged Birds

Sarah came to her two days later, after the elves had brought her a tray of supper that she only picked at, both hungry and sick to her stomach at the same time. Moonstone had visited her again as well, giving her sleeping and calming draughts...anything to numb her, make her forget. But she didn't want to rely on them, only taking the required potions that were left on her vanity every morning. She didn't want to be numb. She wanted to be able to sleep on her own...one day.

"Hey," Sarah called out quietly, hovering in the doorway. "Can I come in?"

"Sure," Hermione said, pushing her food away and getting out of bed. Her muscles and bones were stiff, not only from the attack but from laying in bed all day, too exhausted to even walk the corridors of the second floor. Everything just seemed too difficult to manage. "What's up, Fi—"

The younger girl pulled Hermione tight into her arms, already sobbing. One might think their roles were reversed as Hermione shushed her, stroking her hair.

"I'm sorry," Sarah cried. "I'm sorry that he made me call you that name...I'm sorry for how he spoke to...this is...it's all my fault. He was crazy that night...mad...angry. I should have warned you that..."

"Sarah...no." Hermione pulled back and smiled at her, shaking her head. "It's no one's fault but Trevor's. Not you, not me, not Draco...just Trevor."

Sarah looked much younger to Hermione than she had a few days earlier, a bit more wide eyed and innocent, regardless of the life she'd been through before coming to the Dragon. Or perhaps that it was she just felt that much older. Hermione brushed the hair from her eyes and patted her on the shoulder, not having the energy for much more, but still not wanting her to feel guilty for what that monster did.

After he'd had his blood replenished Zabini had taken Trevor back to his flat in London, leaving instructions with Nott. He let Theo know know what his friend had done, that he wasn't only a spy for Lucius but a rapist and he wasn't to come anywhere near the Dragon again. As for the life debt, Draco hadn't decided how to call it in yet, satisfied to let the asshole stew in his juices until called upon at a later date.

"You should have let Draco kill him," she hissed, flopping down in Hermione's reading chair, her eyes burning with vengeance as she ate a potato off of her plate. "Cut his dick off and post him in Diagon Alley."

Hermione laughed and went to start a bath.

"And then Draco gets sent to Azkaban for killing him and where would any of us be? Besides, don't you think he carries around enough baggage as it is?"

"This would have been one murder well deserved," Sarah said. "Self defense. And the others...he's not a murderer, Hermione."

"I know that," Hermione snapped, surprised at her own sudden protectiveness. She sighed and smiled. "But he'll never believe it."

Sarah stood then and helped Hermione, twisting her hair into a braid and winding it up to pin it at the nape of her neck. It felt good to have someone taking care of her, a delicate touch on her skin.

"I really didn't think anyone would ever...get to us. I trusted that he would keep them out," she said, looking at the floor. "I thought Trevor was...nice." She shrugged. "Nice enough."

"I know. I know he treated you well," Hermione said, although she struggled not to scrunch her nose in disgust. After all, there were those in the world who would no doubt find it hard to believe that she...had feelings for Malfoy.

"I can't trust anyone anymore. I'm not safe anywhere..." Sarah was starting to shake again, panic setting in. "I thought after the war things would start to get better. I never thought it could get this bad. I didn't think people would let it get this bad. There's no one on our side..."