11

As my parents are both out yet again and I heard scary noises, I'm currently in Sam's car on the way to his house. He always keeps a blanket on the back seat and the air freshener smells like a forest. We've had quite a few picnics and karaoke sessions in his car when my parents are late picking me up or just forget to come.

I've never been to Sam's place before, I've seen it on video calls, it always looks very grown up, sleek black and modern everything. He has a huge film collection and floor to ceiling bookshelves and spinning bar stools. I already know I'll love it because it's his but I feel nervous, like me and my sparkly pink backpack might not fit in.

As we pull up to the parking gate, it's a lot darker than I remember it being, I must have napped in the car. Sam enters the pin and we drive in, I like watching him drive, he's concentrated and cautious but he looks so natural and confident. The disco of street lamps across his face highlighting his grin as he looks over at me.

When we parked, he ran around and opened my door, bowing like I'm a princess. I giggled, taking his hand, squealing as he pulled me into a hug. We got a strange look from his elderly neighbour walking past but we just hurried to his apartment. I don't feel like I've seen enough of Sam recently and it's the Christmas holidays next week, I don't know if I'll survive being stuck at home. And more and more I've found myself overthinking us, I don't even know what 'us' is; but what if in the holidays he finds someone his age, who's smart and pretty and perfect for him.

Just as the door swings open, his phone rings, he looks at me apologetically, gesturing to me to take a seat. I take off my shoes, my fluffy white socks contrasting the grey carpet, I walk over to the sofa next to an old-fashioned radio, perching on the very edge, not wanting to be an annoyance.

My brain going at a million miles a minute must be quite loud as I didn't even hear him sneak up on me, his arms dragging me from behind further onto the sofa, his lips tickling my neck, "I'm so sorry, Angel, that was the College, I have to go in for a faculty meeting as the head of maths' car broke down,"

I nodded, quickly, rushing to get my shoes on, "What are you doing?" He asked and I froze, I hate doing things wrong.

"I-i, you said you had to go so.."

"You can stay here, baby, you can watch tv and have blankets and make hot chocolate and I promise I'll be home so soon,"

My eyes widened as I looked at him, he trusted me that much? "Is that okay with you, little one?"

I nodded dumbly, he smiled, big arms encasing me, "I promise I'll be lightning quick, and when I get back, I'll give you a kiss for every scary noise I couldn't be here to protect you from, okay?"

"Okay," I smiled back, nodding more to convince myself than anything else.