Tinkering Chimesmith x Reader ~ Hair

[UNEDITED]

// FLUFF \\

Words: 1303

(You don't have a cape.)
-

2nd POV
There you were, playing with the birds and baby mantas as they surrounded your figure on the concrete docks. You couldn't help but laugh when the birds proceeded to fluff up against your cheek, their feathers tickling you. Your heart warmed from these mini displays of affection— even if you were their current guardian where you're meant to care for them. Only this time, they appeared to have felt the need to play that role, instead. A waving arm in your peripherals suddenly catches your attention so you tear your gaze away from the chirping creatures.

"Good morning, [Y/N]!" You noticed it was the Light Whisperer, the initial carer for the beings you attracted. She approaches before giving you a joyful clap of her hands. "I see they seem to have taken a liking to you!" She observes. "While that's sweet and all, it's now time to switch shifts. The Tinkering Chimesmith's calling for ya so it's best to get going while you still can. He's working on fixing those bells over on that island." The young girl points towards the direction. "It's best you take an escort through the boats or the mantas flying about. You won't miss it!" You nod, waiting patiently as the Light Whisperer produces a small 'call' to divert the creatures' attention away from you.

"Thank you, Whisp." You bow respectfully. "Is it all right to call you that?" Said girl nods before playfully shooing you away with a smile.

As you walk off, you realise you weren't exactly experienced in operating the boats, so you decided to take on the option of using one of the mantas by putting on your best manta call to draw in one of them. It took a few tries, but one arrived only after witnessing your pitiful attempts at mimicking their sounds. You couldn't tell if you should feel offended but nevertheless, you climb onto the creature's back and proceed towards one of the islands. "Hopefully it's the lump of earth the Tinkering Chimesmith is at." You sigh. It also took a bit of coordination from the manta but you did manage to get to the island safely without much trouble.

You observe the land in an attempt to find the aforementioned worker but to no avail. "Don't tell me I went to the wrong one." You grumble to yourself, kicking the ground with a quiet huff. At that moment, you could hear shuffling around the corner.

"Oh, [Y/N]? I didn't expect to see you so soon!" You whisk your head around to find the Tinkering Chimesmith approaching you with a waving hand before it's spontaneously slapped onto your shoulder.

"Greetings, Chimesmith." You nod to acknowledge him. The disheveled man only waves his free hand, as if saying to drop the formalities as he continues to beam at you. "Er, so what did you need me for?" You ask him.

He merely pauses. The silence between the two of you only stretched while you were growing wary of his lack of response. "What do you mean?" He finally asks, confused. You only arrived because you were told you were called for. The Light Whisperer couldn't have made that up, you think to yourself, or did your ears deceive you?

You fumble around with your hands before answering. "Whisp- I mean, Light Whisperer said you were calling for me. She didn't specify why but I came as soon as I was told since you're so busy." The Tinkering Chimesmith nods to your words and slides his hand through his disheveled hair at the revelation.

"I see. Well, I'm sorry that you had to come all this way due to some mishap." Your shoulders slump as he gives you a sheepish smile, awkwardly rubbing his neck. "But now that you're here," He continues after noticing your slight distress. "why not help me with some tinkering? You're a very skilled and talented individual, so I'd love the extra help." Your posture noticeably changes, and now you're nodding with such eagerness he thought he saw two heads.

"Oh, I'd love to!" The Chimesmith laughs at your enthusiasm and guides you by the back. As the two of you walk, you're suddenly intrigued by the disheveled mess of hair the Chimesmith had. Tufts of it had poked out in multiple directions— you thought it was a bit.. cute?

He suddenly stops and gestures towards a pile of bells, picking a couple of them up and presumably wanting you to as well. You do the same but carry a few lesser bells as you follow behind wherever the Chimesmith went.

You noticed you began to subconsciously grow focused on how the worker's hair bounced with each step. It really shouldn't have been your main concern, you knew that much, but you really wanted to try touching it. You luckily refrained from doing so, though.

The two of you walk towards one of the gates as the Chimesmith then places his bells on the ground. "All right! This will be simple." He announces. "We'll have to fix these bells up before connecting them at the top of each gate. Do you want to know the basics?"

You look at him then back to the bells in your arms. It shouldn't be too difficult, you thought, but still nod. The Chimesmith sits down and you do the same as he begins to talk about the fundamentals, occasionally using one of his bells as an example. After a few minutes of explaining, you realised you were right and understood the task which made you feel a bit giddy. At least until the Tinkering Chimesmith looked away to start working since you, once again, immediately grew distracted by his hair.

Instead, you start using his explanation to proper use and begin working on your set of bells. You only brought a couple less so it didn't take long before you finished before him. Upon glancing towards the Chimesmith's direction, you still fight back the urge to touch his hair. But then you thought,

YOLO.

That enough motivated you. So you go into a crouching position before shakily stretching your hand towards the Chimesmith's hair. You sometimes even flinched back since it was like you were proceeding towards some rabid animal.

This is ridiculous, you realised, and instead pat his tied tuft of hair.

"If you wanted to touch my hair, you could've just asked!" You inwardly shriek at the voice, flinching miles back from where you were as the Chimesmith faces your direction. You had completely blocked out all the noise to not even realise he was calling you. "I noticed something was off when I would ask a question only to find you zoned out." He chuckles with a smile, obviously finding amusement in your embarrassment.

"W-well.." You scratch your cheek, a bit speechless. He only dismisses your words with a wave.

"Coincidentally, it happens to be one of my stress-relievers." The Chimesmith confesses, merely laughing to himself afterwards. "I wouldn't mind if you played around with my hair." You give a sigh of relief at the unexpected revelation and give him a deep bow.

"I apologise for being so awkward." You mumble.

"No need for formal apologies!" He pats your head, yet you continue to mutter apologies despite his mini protests. Seconds later, you eagerly get up and slowly glide your hand over the Chimesmith's hair as he works on the remaining bells.

"Wow, your hair is really soft, Chimesmith!"

"Thank you, I try." He laughs. "Also please, just call me Smith!" You look at him with wide eyes before nodding.

"..May I braid your hair?"

"Of course!"

-
I was sleep deprived when writing this, sorry if the sentences seem like a mess XD