Chapter 21

Stahsi

Oh god, this is it. We're going to die. My heart was racing as fear consumed me, but it felt like everything was moving in slow motion. Tsu, Kai, and Davi fought until they couldn't anymore, one of the guards took a club and hit Tsu across the face. It was strange, we'd all been hit with a power suppressant that knocked us on our asses. Those three, they were on another level. Especially Tsu she looked absolutely miserable. Her body was covered in sweat, she was pale as the bone, and she looked miserable. Yet, she stood fighting.
Until she was hit, she stayed down with that one. Her healing wasn't working. My heart spluttered as I watched her fall. Her face contorted in pain, I raced over to catch and hold her and glared at the man. He smirked at me knowing there was nothing I could do, our powers were useless now.
Kai and Davi surged to get the upper hand but they were only shoved in and back, overwhelmed. The door was slammed in their face.
My body quivered as I held Tsu, when I looked down I gasped shocked to actually see it, "she's not healing!"
Davi's face contorted in rage but it was Kai who raced over and I could see the fear in his eyes as he looked his lover over. It was silent for a moment other than soft sniffles heard around the room. "She's, healing it's just incredibly slow." His voice was filled with emotion, he was trying to keep it hidden, to keep us calm.
When I looked to him I could see the fear, it was buried deep in his hazel eyes and when he blinked it was gone. Davi put a hand on his shoulder and I could practically see the calmness wash over Kai. I thought Kai's power was calming not Davi's.
I looked around the room and saw our group looking angry, beaten, and most of all- scared. Even Jay sat with an almost dazed look. My heart raced as I waited, please let Jerome be right.
There was a crackling sound and everyone's heads snapped around until we found the speaker high on the wall. I heard as Davi practically hissed while Kai just hung his head.
The voice that came through was older and slightly whispered as the man spoke, I felt my skin crawl at how calm it was.
My stomach churned as he spoke, and I felt almost sick.
"Good evening, I'm glad you all could come to join us." His voice was full of mirth, he was clearly proud of what was about to be done. "Today we have a special for you, as our normal doses of gas were destroyed, we have something that was a bit more potent." My stomach dropped at that and I watched as the others paled. Kai's hands curled into fists at his side but he didn't other wise move.
"You we're all pretty busy here today. Naughty children get punishments, I'm going to teach you why you should never over step your place." There was a pause as we all looked at each other in slight confusion.
"This one," he said continuing clearly not waiting for us to fully grasp just where he was headed. "Is known for completely destroying every thing about your 'gifts' as you call them." He spoke with utter disdain, as though the word was dirty. "It completely eradicates it from your body," he paused for a moment as though he needed a break to gather his thoughts.
I felt tears in my eyes and my throat closed up as I tried to hold them back. I will not cry here. I can't.
I felt the first hiccuping sob and knew it was over, my mind turned on me now, if not now, then when? My lip trembled and I felt my body shake with rage as hot tears ran down my face.
"Unfortunately," the voice continued, I couldn't help but jump, I knew it was coming but it still frightened me. "There's not much left mentally after this stripping happens. It's as though your very intelligence is tied with this 'gift.' The government didn't allow us to use this particular drug but, I believe the protection of the many at the suffering of a few is good for now. You're all such willing test subjects, I thank you for the cooperation."
The speaker went quiet for a moment and I watched Kai's jaw clench and unclench several times, Davi closed his eyes and his lips moved quickly. He's praying.
It hit me then, we're really going to die. The speaker crackled again and I saw Kai jump slightly, "do be patient, it takes a moment to load the serum into the vents. If you believe in anything higher, now would be the time."
My blood boiled at his tone, it was obvious he was enjoying watching us realize death was imminent. "k-Kai?" I turned to see the boy with the glasses, Brandon, he looked pale and his cheeks were wet with tears.
Slowly, Kai turned to look around the room at each of our worn, tired, broken faces. He studied each person in turn and, as he did, I could see as he steeled himself before focusing on the younger man. "Jerome," he paused before taking a breath, "h-he wouldn't leave us right? There is a plan b?"
Brandon's voice shook as he tried to keep it steady, Kai's eyes were dark as he looked down in thought. He took a breath to answer when Jay surprised me by speaking up.
Oh please don't be mean.
"Are you stupid?" Damn, "Do you really think they coming?" There was pure anger in her voice. She shot to her feet now and glared at him as he visibly shook. Her tone was cold and cruel but just as quickly as it'd come, when she spoke again her voice was lifeless.
Devoid of emotion. Devoid of Hope. "We the screw ups, the losers, expendable. This was probably the plan from the beginning. He's going to clean house. Accept it." She paused, and before I could react she reared her arm back and punched the wall behind her.
My eyes widened and Brandon yelled in fear, her jaw clenched as she used the pain to cut through the sadness, to steady herself. "He's not coming. We going to die." Her voice was low now, no emotion just, calm. She's accepted it, I thought with a start. Brandon turned to Kai as did the others and I watched as the decision was made. "I have a plan." He said calmly not meeting our eyes, I looked to Davi who was surprisingly silent.
He didn't fight or anything, just let Kai take the lead. He leaned against the wall just above where Tsu sat clenching her right cheek that was currently swollen. His lip was between his teeth as he chewed it but avoided eye contact. "Come here, guys," Kai said motioning for everyone to get close.
I felt my skin start to crawl and my hair stand on end as my senses screamed at me, this isn't right! Everyone shuffled forward, desperate to hear what he had to say.
It was clear, even in a time of stress such as this, he was still- without a doubt- their leader. He smiled softly looking over everyone, I turned to Jake. He was just a bit behind the others not exactly sure of each of us.
It was clear he saw there'd been a shift in power in his absence, he glared at Dylan who just shrugged as if to say what was I supposed to do. Jake looked at his own people and when his eyes landed on me I saw them widen fractionally. I sighed and nodded sadly to show my respect to my leader.
There was silence as everyone waited for Kai to speak and I saw as Jake tilted his head down and chuckled softly. Dylan looked at him confused and he shook his head again, "nothing, just- glad you're here." My head snapped at that and I looked to see he was sincere. Oh god, that's not good.
Jake put his hand on Dylan's shoulder and stared at him for a moment before dropping it and turning away.
He nodded once to Kai, who simply nodded softly as if in thanks. Jake wrapped his arm around Dylan's shoulders and pulled him to sit beside him. He looked to his brother in confusion, it was clear he wasn't expecting the sudden show of emotion. Slowly, Kai closed his eyes taking a deep breath, that's when I felt it.
The calm layer washing over my skin like waves lapping over me lazily at the beach. After a moment, one by one, the others started falling. No, no no no, I can't fall asleep.
My heart rate slowed and I felt my mind calm from the fear and panic. I looked at Davi and saw sadness in his eyes as he held the crying Tsu in his arms and they too fell asleep. My eyes grew heavier but still, I refused. Kai turned to me now, confusion written on his face, until I felt another heavy wave and my eyes closed and that's when I saw my conversation with Jerome.