Chapter Two

Over the next few days, books, toys, and art supplies were brought into Alluna's hospital room. Unused to all the new supplies, she left them mostly untouched.

The past few days were very quiet. Alluna stayed in bed most of the time. It turned out that she had broken her clavicle and right leg. She also fractured her left arm, wrist, and ankle. It hurt to walk and it hurt to stand. But her doctor, Doctor Rintaro, had a masterful healing quirk, and was pleased to announce that she would be able to leave the hospital within the next two or three days. Alluna didn't know where she would go.

The calendar on the wall read February 28th. The clock next to it displayed the time; 9:56. Alluna had a wooden breakfast tray on her lap, with white rice, miso soup, a piece of salmon, and a small container of pickles resting on top. She was halfway through her soup when she heard a knock on the door.

"Alluna-san, you have a visitor." Yukimura's voice came from the other side of the door.

"Send them in." she replied, putting down her soup spoon on the tray.

The door opened and Aizawa walked in, followed closely by Yukimura. Alluna sat up straighter on her bed, brushing hair out of her face. "Good morning, Aizawa-san."

"Hello," he replied, looking tired like always. He sat down at the foot of her bed, clasping his hands together. Alluna waited in nervous anticipation; Aizawa obviously had something important to say. Could it be that he found out about...?

"I've arranged to be your temporary guardian."

Alluna blinked. "What?" She met Aizawa's gaze; it was warm and unflinching. He was telling the truth. Alluna would be going to live with him. To live with a hero. She wasn't sure what to think.

But she thanked him, earning a tired smile in reply. Yukimura clapped and cheered in the background. After Aizawa left, the rest of the morning passed in a blur. Alluna changed into her old clothes — which Yukimura had personally washed — and helped said lady pack up anything she wanted to bring to Aizawa's home in a tote bag that read "trust your heart". According to Yukimura, Aizawa had left behind a pair of children's sneakers, one size too big, but the first new pair of shoes Alluna had in ages.

Yukimura offered to look in the children's play area for anything else Alluna might've liked to take, and though she refused, the older lady went anyway, leaving Alluna alone in her room with time to think.

Why did Aizawa take her in? He was a hero. Were heroes good or bad? Did she trust the media or mother? Did she trust Aizawa? Did he have any ulterior motive? Did he find out about her...

Yukimura burst in the open doorway, startling Alluna into dropping her bag on the bed. The older lady hastily apologized and spread her findings on the white sheets. Alluna picked a few — mostly to keep Yukimura happy — and thanked the said woman.

When the time slowly neared two in the afternoon, Yukimura led Alluna down the hallways of the hospital to the front reception area, where Aizawa would be waiting for her. She gave her patient a big hug, told her to take care of herself, and left.

What a nice lady.

~~~

Alluna squinted up at the bright blue sky, the blinding light burning her eyes. It had been over a week since she'd seen it, and even then, she rarely went outside. Aizawa stood beside her, scarf and goggles abandoned for a more casual outfit. The air was chilly, not as cold as that day, but not quite spring. With her scarf back safely on her neck, she felt safe and warm. It wasn't too crowded in front of the hospital, and Alluna could keep herself under control with deep breaths.