12. little spy

°
     °
°

chapter twelve

DIANA'S SKIN WAS BEGINNING TO PRUNE. She'd been seated in the bathtub for much longer than she should've been, but she couldn't bring herself to move. After Lucas had disappeared, wholly unsatisfied with her answers to his questions, she immediately sought out the easiest form of relaxation she could think of: a bath. The problem was that she'd been on edge for months, and a measly bath couldn't fix that.

She sighed, absentmindedly tracing a pattern into the brown skin of her knee with the tip of her finger. She had to go see Will soon—to make sure he was still ok. She also had to muster up the courage to finally visit the new StarCourt Mall. There was something off-putting about the popular place, but Diana had chalked it up to the big crowds. She needed to call her grandma—to apologize for practically ditching her this summer.

With that thought, Diana finally tugged the drain stopper free. She rose from the water, shivering as she wrapped a plush towel around her shoulders. She quickly dried off and pulled on a pair of pajamas.

Glancing at the clock as she exited the bathroom,
she realized it was too late to call—

Diana's thoughts were interrupted by the familiar prickling of eyes on her skin. The feeling was different this time. Less cold. Less terrifying.

She knew those eyes.

She turned toward the dark end of the empty hallway, blinking rapidly. "Eleven?" she murmured, hesitantly.

Then it was gone, and, once more, she was truly alone.

She'd felt stupid just standing there whispering into the dark, but she could've sworn the girl—her presence at the very least—had been there. The girl had to have been scrying, but for what? Diana didn't know. It seemed that she would have to add Eleven to her list of people to see because either the girl was in trouble, or she was really really bored and neither was a good thing.

"Is everything alright?" Her mother asked from the other end of the hall. She was dressed down, a robe pulled tightly around her torso and her hair pinned up in rollers.

Diana schooled her features to hide both her existing discomfort and rising surprise at her mother's appearance. "Yes," she answered simply, before slinking into her room.

Her mother was quick on her heels, however, shoving her foot out to stop Diana's bedroom door from shutting. "You're moving like you're running away from something."

"I'm not," Diana protested, allowing her mother into her disheveled room.

Her mother immediately frowned. "Girl, you need to clean in here." The woman picked up a few items of clothing, tossing them into the hamper.

Diana sucked her teeth. "Those were still clean."

Her mother shot her a look, but raised her hands. "I only came in here to tell you that that Steve boy was here to see you."

"It's after ten o'clock," Diana nearly shouted in disbelief. Quickly, she moved across her room, tugging on a pair of denim shorts and the cleanest t-shirt she could find. She didn't think he would actually show up to continue their conversation from earlier.

Her mother shrugged. "He's your...friend," she said as if she was unsure of what word to use. Diana didn't pay her much attention, though. "And since it's summer and you've been about as active as your grandad, I encourage you to go and see what he wants. I also encourage you to be home before three, if you know what's good for you."