8. he's not happy

°
       °
°

chapter eight

"JUST SAY IT," Diana demanded of Lucas, once Joyce had brought Eleven to see Will and a fuming Mike had disappeared with the Chief

"JUST SAY IT," Diana demanded of Lucas, once Joyce had brought Eleven to see Will and a fuming Mike had disappeared with the Chief. Apparently Hopper had been hiding Eleven.

Lucas narrowed his eyes. "You were right." He said the words through his teeth and Diana smiled, she wasn't done yet.

"And what else?"

His eyes became slits, and he forced the next words out. "I won't ever doubt you again."

She patted his shoulder, satisfied. "She knew?" Dustin blanched as Diana went to the kitchen. She picked up the piece of cardboard that read 'CLOSE GATE'.

Eleven could be the one to do it. The question was, would she do it?

Diana sat at the table and put her head in her hands. She was starting to get a headache. A non-supernatural one. Behind her lids flashed a possible futures and glimpses of what needed to be done for the best outcome, yet the best outcome was never the perfect one.

That was unsettling.

"You opened this gate before, right?" Joyce's voice came, pulling her from her thoughts. She looked up to see Mrs. Byers and Eleven before her, staring at the same cardboard.

"Yes," the young girl answered. The line of blood dripping from Eleven's right nostril made Diana slightly uncomfortable. It also made her question what exactly happened in the girl's brain when she used her powers for it to happen every single time she used them.

Joyce leaned closer to Eleven. "Do you think, if we got you back there, you could close it?" Everyone, aside from Chief Hopper and Mike, approached the table. Eleven didn't reply to the question. Joyce looked to Diana. "What do you see?"

All eyes were on her. She thought for a moment, recalling the information she'd gathered. "I see the gate closing, and I'm 99.9% sure it's Eleven who closes it, but the timeline is wacky. And every time I see an ending, there's always more where there shouldn't be." She sighed. Joyce sat down at the table.

"Don't look that far into the future then," Mike said, entering the room with Hopper trailing behind him. The latter stood against the wall nearest the table and Mike came to stand around the table with everyone else.

She pursed her lips. "Can't help it, not when I'm looking specifically for an end."

"What do we need to do?" Steve asked from where he stood beside her.

"Decide on something, so I can gain some perspective," she suggested, squeezing her hands.

There was a long pause then Hopper sighed. "We know that it's not like it was before. It's grown. A lot." Spanning almost the entire town to be specific. "And, I mean, that's considering we can get in there. The place is crawling with those dogs."