20. two truths,

°
°
°

chapter twenty

DIANA AWOKE TO THE SOUND OF banging on Steve's apartment door. He'd left a few hours before to get the store ready for opening. She'd convinced him to go in today after he been reluctant to leave her side. It was just after ten, and she must've dozed off sometime after he'd gone. Something had felt off during the night, more so than usual, but she hadn't been able to put her finger on it.

Diana made a dazed trek to the door, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her hair was still hidden beneath a silk scarf, and she was wearing one of Steve's t-shirts over her shorts. When she threw open the door, a whiff of the cold morning air bombarded her senses, swiping the grogginess from thoughts. The two teenagers standing on the doorstep, however, may have woken her up a thousand more times than any weather could.

Dustin and Max stood there, wide eyed and seemingly ready for the day and clearly on a mission. "Dustin, what the hell? Why are you banging on the door like the cops—"

"Sorry, Diana," he said interrupting her, clearly not here for the chitchat. He looked quite distraught, his curls wind blown beneath his cap. "Is Steve here?"

"No he's at work, why? Is something wrong?" She watched Max's face even though she hadn't said anything yet. The redhead looked tired, if nothing else but there was a certain hollowness in her eyes that unsettled Diana.

"Chrissy Cunningham died at Eddie's house last night," he explained quickly.

"Whoa," Diana let out, immediately meeting his eyes and immediately remembering what she'd said last night and how she felt. The poor girl. She'd known Eddie Munson to be a bit weird—but she was often perceived that way too—and she'd also known that he was supposed to graduate before she had. She had never taken him for a murderer though. She took in the young boy's expression. "You don't think he did it."

It wasn't it question, but he didn't acknowledge it anyway. "We have to go to Family Video. We'll see you later."

The pair rushed off, running through the parking lot to their haphazardly strewn bikes. "Wait," Diana called. "I'll give you a ride." They paused sharing a look, seeming to consider the offer. "Give me five minutes."

She hurried to get dressed, and in the car, they promised to explain everything to her once they made it to the store. She tried to get Max to speak about how she'd been these past months, to no avail. The girl only averted her eyes, murmuring some falsely placating words. Diana would have to get her alone when she had the chance.

When she pulled into a parking space outside of Family Video, she hadn't even turned off the car before Max and Dustin were rushing out of her car and into the store, leaving her behind.

She sauntered into the building only to see Dustin throwing himself over the counter, taking a stack of VHS tapes with him, much to Steve's audible dismay. She saw Max calmly walk to the other side of the counter and Diana followed suit. Dustin plopped onto the seat in front of the computer and began typing away.

"What are you doing, man?" Steve chastised, his arms thrown wide and his face twisted in disbelief and anger. It was then that he noticed Diana. "You brought them here?"

Diana shrugged but moved to help Robin pick up the tapes, kissing Steve's cheek—to which he only gave her a pursed lipped smile—before he turned to Dustin.