3. seeing things

°
°
°

chapter three

           "YOU'RE JUST A KID LUCAS," Diana told him when he'd finally gotten home that day, entirely too late for comfort

           "YOU'RE JUST A KID LUCAS," Diana told him when he'd finally gotten home that day, entirely too late for comfort. She'd avoided telling him about her encounter with Steve because he'd have something (she didn't want to hear) to say.

"That's the kind of shitty thinking that almost got Will killed last year," he replied, raising his voice at her. He was scared; she could feel it.

"Watch your language, you know if mom hears you—"

He interrupted her, his voice lower this time. "If you want to be helpful, tell me what comes next."

"I don't know what comes next," she whispered. At least not yet. "But I know you can't go around running after other-worldly creatures, that are extremely dangerous."

Truth was she couldn't lose her brother, it was plain and simple.

"Dart isn't dangerous." There was an unspoken yet, she could tell. Dustin's new pet, a direct product of the same dimension the shadow creature resided in, had gone missing, and someone had to look for it.

Diana let out a frustrated breath, tired of the conversation. "This isn't safe. Your friends aren't safe. You aren't safe."

"None of us are safe in this town," he told her, sitting on the stool beside her easel.

"And yet you continue to put yourself in more danger." Diana shook her head. "Look, something happened today—"

"Another vision?"

"Not quite. I think Will is still stuck in the Upside-Down."

He shook his head, not willing to hear such words from her mouth and apparently not understanding them either. "I was with him today Diana."

"Not physically Lucas," she said with a shake of her head. There was a moment of silence as he considered her words.

"He had an episode... again. I think something still wants him there." Lucas said after a minute. Diana glanced at the sketch she'd drawn yesterday, and a shudder ran down her spine. Lucas sighed, playing with the sleeve of his shirt. "So what do we do?"

Diana sat onto her perfectly made bed. "Tell his mom? I don't know how this works. I don't know how he can be helped."

"I'll talk to the guys about it," they boy said, sounding tired.

She rubbed at her face, tired too. "Keep me updated?"

"Yeah sure," he said quickly, but it didn't sound too genuine. "Why was Steve Harrington here today?"