3- Turning Away

(•CHAPTER THREE•)

the haunt of the past will forever last

HER VOICE WAS HEAVY and full of remorse as she recalled the story. "I took my horse, belongings and left without a word to anyone." Indilwen finished quietly. "I did not even wish Arwen farewell..." guilt weighed her heart. "How confused she must have been when her feast was ruined by my sudden disappearance." She heaved a sigh and stared at the ground in shame. "She did not understand..."

Aragorn's eyes were full of sympathy as he heard the sorrow in Indilwen's voice. "I am sure she has forgiven you. It was not entirely your choice."

"But it was I who caused it," she murmured, shaking her head. "Yet I am conflicted within my heart. If I hadn't left, I would not be the same. Through my solitude I have learned much, but if I had stayed, my relationship with my family would be healed."

"There is time still for healing." Aragorn smiled to reassure her. "Some things are meant to be, and your choices may change the course of many things." He noticed the pain in Indilwen's distant, glazed eyes and told her, "It does not do to dwell on the past and forget to live in the present."

"Iston. (I know)." Indulgent whispered, blinkering a few rebel tears away. "Hannon le, mellon nîn. (Thank you, my friend)."

Aragorn dipped his head. "Goheno nîn. (I'm sorry)"

"Amman? (Why?)" she asked, looking up at his dark eyes. They were deep and genuine, and she felt like every word spoken by him was true and pure. Those eyes held no greed, or false intentions; they were simple and warm.

"That you experienced such pain in your home." Aragorn said. "Home ought to be a place of comfort, security." His voice grew distant as nostalgia entered his mind. "So long have I wandered..." his gaze flickered over to her. "Have we wandered... I would not wish that sense of homelessness upon anyone. Least of all you."

Indilwen met his eyes sadly, but questioning. She did not understand why he singled her out. Aragorn offered a soft smile and continued, "you belong with your people, in those lands, and you ought to feel safe, at the very least welcome with your kin. I am sorry you did not have that."

Indilwen felt her cheeks fill with warmth at his words and she nodded her head in thanks. She had not met anyone who displayed so much care and understanding in such a short time of knowing her. It was like he could see right through her to the truest feelings of her heart, and speak them aloud. Aragorn's voice was raspy and soft, seeming to glide with the wind in soothing whispers.

"I wish your relationship with your father will be restored. The Elrond who raised me was wiser and fairer. I believe he was ready to forgive you many years ago, only did not know how to reconcile with you." Aragorn told her.