4- Wandering

•{CHAPTER FOUR}•

where the road shall take me, i cannot tell

LONG WEEKS PASSED AS INDILWEN travelled the lands, returning to her old lifestyle of exile and scavenging. She roamed forests, hills and mountains without purpose, led on by a relentless anxiety in her heart, nagging her at every moment. It was a churning in her stomach that never eased and pressed her to constantly move, but to where she did not know. This restlessness tortured her in her daily thoughts, her dreams, her muscles and her heart. It was like she was searching for a memory that had long been forgotten. She had but a grasp of the idea of what she felt but did not know where to go or what to do.

For months Indilwen wandered idly, seeking peace in many towns and lands, but to no avail. The restless desire never left her no matter how far she traveled, or how much rest she took, or where she lodged. Even Nostarion began to be affected by her anxieties. His temper would become short and irritable, only further frustrating his rider. Indilwen continued to use the one solution she thought possible: running away. As she rode across many lands, she heard talk of a growing darkness. Strange creatures were found in peaceful towns wreaking havoc. The wraiths' evil had stained the village of Bree and made their people terrified. However, most of all she could feel the change in her heart. Besides the restlessness to keep moving, there was a deep ache resting on her conscience that grew day by day with the pains of all people and their lives afflicted with suffering.

Indilwen trudged along through forests and plains, cloaked with a green hood and armed with a sword and bow. Nostarion was loyal and steadfast, always obedient but also agitated by some unseen force. When his rider would want to travel west, Nostarion would rear and snort in disagreement. Indilwen would force him on, but he did so reluctantly. When they rode north, Nostarion tried to redirect their path, and Indilwen, after several occasions of this happening, finally gave in. For she was tormented by thoughts of her family, of Rivendell and of Aragorn who was the only creature who was able to lead her back to her homeland. Indilwen would not dare to be within a week's journey from Rivendell until Aragorn had somehow lifted her fear from her. He had brought her the closest to home than she had been for decades. She had nearly made it to the gates before succumbing to her fear and pride she did not want to admit to.

Aragorn surprised and confused her and had occupied her thoughts for many days. She left him with not too great of an impression, but the longer she pondered over the short time they shared together, the more Indilwen's restlessness increased. She valued his leadership and protective nature, and had never before met a man who balanced strength with gentleness. He reconnected her to her past and had been her first companion since her exile. She remembered his words, "I would not with homelessness upon anyone, least of all you," and grew amazed knowing that Aragorn had given her the more comfort in a few days than anything she experienced in solitude. That peek into a life of companionship softened her heart she had kept cold for so long, and made her longing for that sense of comfort to return. Indilwen did not believe she would ever find friendship after leaving Rivendell, but the taste of trusting again had enraptured her lonely spirit and became the forefront desire of her heart.