Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The Elf world is so much different than that of the Fairies. Where I grew up, there were dirt paths and hard work, in the elves world, the streets are covered in gold. I have been in the land of Tine for almost a month now. There is no pressure to get a job, join civilization, or really do anything. For the last thirty days the schedule has been the same. Wake up when I please, have some breakfast, walk around the city, which like I said before is beautiful, then be home when father gets off of his shift. You see, my father is a member of the King’s guard,  he is  usually wearing his uniform which consists of leather that smells faintly like lilacs. I assume it’s the magic that makes the odd scent, but that’s all it reminds me of. I feel much more at peace here with the Elves, I am short compared to most, but my features fit the Elves better and unlike in the fairy world, I seem to blend in better. Magic is commonly used for every day tasks and the people are more accepting of who I am. Truly I enjoy this Kingdom.

Tonight is the Blue Moon Ball, it only occurs once every couple thousand years. It is the only time that the Elves have a ball, father being the King’s guard is invited as well as his family. Sense the day I found out I was invited to a ball, my mind has been spinning. A ball, where handsome possibly young elves will be located. Earlier I bought a beautiful dress, purple with green almost see through silk laid over it and real flower peddles sewn onto the fabric, reminding me of the forest island I spent my childhood on. After dinner I went to my room, sliding the dress on, it complimented my slim figure, clinging softly to my small curves. The sleeves were long and draped down almost touching the floor. I left my hair down, with a natural wave, and braided my bangs out of my face. I placed a gold tiara on my head and added the little jewelry I owned. Looking into the mirror I realized how much my face did resemble that of my mothers. I had often seen her do her own hair like this during special occasions. I let a soft sigh escape my lips, I missed my mother, although this world was much more of a home to me, it felt empty without her there to guide me. Looking away from the mirror I walked out of my small room. Father was already dressed in his dress robes. His green eyes sparkled and he put his hand out to me. We left without speaking, not a word escaped our lips as we made our way to the castle. Going up the grand stair case I see the most beautiful blue eyes. They sparkled in the night, his robes were a dark blue with gold compliments, which made them stand out. His long black locks were pin straight, but you could see his Elf ears poking out. His smile was flawless, and his face looked like it was carved out of marble. Even from a distance I could see his body was toned. It took all my will power not to go say hello. A smile spread across my face as we neared him, and just when we were about to  meet face to face my father lead me into the ball room. 

Now, if I have never pointed out how beautiful the elves make their home, now is the time to explain just how  much the elves valued beauty.

When you enter the ballroom, you are walking down a gold pathway, marble obviously is the solid structure of the building. But in the ballroom the walls have gold melted in with the marble. The archway leads to a small entrance then a huge staircase, solid gold, leads to the center of the ball. A huge crystal and gold chandalear hangs above, and light is filtered in from some where I suppose. The entire air to the ball is magical, all the people are dressed beautifully, and crystal dust is sprinkled on  everything making it all twincle. An audiable gasp makes my father look at me. 

“Are you alright Rayne?” He asks turning towards me.

“Yes, it’s just so beautiful.” A smile forms on his lips. and he turns leading me down to the dance floor, where I am handed off to some man he knows, while he goes to work with the King. I make boring conversation with all the gentleman that I dance with. Each man handed me off to a new one, aparently there aren’t many untaken women here in the elf world. I still couldn’t get the man with the blue eyes out of my head. My father had mentioned that every elf has a soul mate, and when you see them, your souls connect for eternity, like he did with my mother. Towards the end of the night I was handed into a new set of arms. His hands were large and my hands barely touched the tops of his shoulders. I could feel a shock running through my body, and when I looked up my heart stopped. His blue eyes were even more striking close up. A smile spread across those full lips and I thought I might just die. 

“Hello.” I said trying not to drool.

“Well hello soul mate.” He said a matter of fact, touching his lips to our intertwined hands. At those words I could have died happily. A soul mate, him a soul mate. This beautiful man in front of me, was my soul mate. 

“Soul mate, it really works like that?” I asked, obviously the one with less knowledge. 

“Yes, and I believe you are mine, nice to meet you by the way, what is your name?” He asked twirling me. 

“Rayne, I’m new to..”

“Here, you’re Tagar’s daughter correct? And your’e fairly young, twenty five?” He interrupted.

“Yes to all three, how did you know?” I asked right back “And who are you, your name, and age please.” I let a smile spread across my lips. 

“That you do not need to know yet.” He glanced up, looking past me, kissed my hand and walked away. I stood stunned as my father walked up next to me to take the last dance.  Even though I was safe in my father’s arms, I felt empty and torn. It was as if when I was in, well, Blue Eye’s arms, I was whole. Looking up at my father I wondered how he had made it through all these years without my mother. If they were soul mates, why would they, how would they be without one another. I looked more in depth at my fathers eyes, yes the smile on his lips and the glimer in his eye would make you think he was happy, but they creases around his eyes and the frown almost tugging at his lips showed the truth. He was torn. 

“Father?” I said softly, the music swaying around us. 

“Yes Rayne?” He said looking back down at me.

“I think I found a soul mate.” I said, waiting to see his reaction. I felt his body tense and we stopped dancing and he dropped his arms. A very serious look crossed his face. Then out of no where he hugged me and a huge smile pealed across his lips. 

“Who, what is his name, did he meet you yet? Tell me everything.” I looked up at my father and knew he was happy, no question. I let a sigh out and glanced around the room, Blue Eyes was no where to be seen.

“Well, he knows me, he called me soul mate then proceeded to tell me I can’t know his name, or who he is, that I had to wait.” I visibly pouted up at my father. My father’s face seemed to think.

“Hm.” was all I got for a reply then the music became quiet and upon a small stage Blue Eyes stood. A smile spread across his lips as his eyes locked with mine, and I let my own lips smile.  He became serious as he addressed the crowd.

“Good evening and than kyou for attending the ball tonight. beneath this same moon thousands of years ago the Elvin Kingdom was founded. I would like to say personally wish each and everyone of you another amazing thousand years. Thank you.” With that the crowd clapped and slowly exited, except for us. Father held us back and we ended up standing in the middle of the ball room. Looking around I noticed we were the only ones left. 

“I assumed you’d like to figure out who your soul mate is.” He stated “You just stay here, he’ll be down soon. I love you.” Staring at my father I realized he knew who my soul mate was, and all I had to do was wait for him to come and great me. Suddenly I became very nervous, what if he didn’t tell me his name because he was already with someone. I closed my eyes just for a moment to settle myself, and in that brief moment his arms came around me and I let myself lean into him. 

“So my father knows who you are, but I’m not allowed to?” I asked, leaving my eyes closed, just letting him hold me. I felt his lips come across the top of my head. 

“Sorry, I just wanted to wait until after the ball, your father has known me his entire existance. He knew the minute I looked at you that you were my soul mate.” I opened my eyes now looking at those beautiful eyes, they now seemed less playful and more serious. I let out a small sign, leaning into his arms. 

“So who are you?” I asked just wishing to know his name. I could clearly hear him suck in a breath, and even more so I could feel his muscle tighten before he let out one deep breath and barely whispered.

“Zepher, King Zepher.”