+1.5 : New Job

TOKYO, JAPAN
08:43 P.M.
October, 2021

ONE YEAR & FIVE MONTHS AFTER

     WORKING AT UKIYO is the polar opposite of what Valentina's job used to be in their old office. It's new and exciting, but oh so exhausting. Even though her working hours aren't that long, but they are the peak rush hours, and Valentina spends those hours standing on her feet, taking orders, and serving customers.

It's a major relief that she isn't alone. Takumi works the same hours as her, so she is never bored. He provides her with top tier entertainment which consist of his snarky remarks and sarcastic jabs at certain customers. It's entertaining having him there.

It's been a week since she started working. It's Saturday, her first official night off from work. And for the first time in two weeks she's there as a customer and not a server.

Jungkook's sitting opposite her, his eyes focused on the menu in his hands. He is a regular customer, but each time he comes here with Valentina, he takes his time ordering food. He orders different things every single time.

"So, what are we ordering today?" Valentina asks, scanning her menu. She looks up at Jungkook intently studying the menu, working his lower lip into his mouth, a sign of focus. "We should order something light, as you'll have work afterwords."

She never says racing anymore, especially since the accident scare they had a few months back. It's work now, something Jungkook does to get paid. And he gets paid a hefty amount. Besides, Valentina can see that he likes it. There's always a feeling of content on his face whenever he wins a race. Even when he loses one, there's still no bitterness in his behaviour, and Valentina admires that.

Jungkook looks up at her. "It's just a practice round today. So we can have whatever we want."

"You sure?"

He hums and nods. "Positive."

A waiter comes to take their orders. Jungkook orders something for the both of them. Once the waiter is gone, Jungkook crosses his arms on the table and leans forward. "Can I ask you something?"

Valentina nods. "Of course. What is it?"

"Since it's a practice round," he starts, and Valentina can see where he might be going with that. "Do you want to race with me? I promise it'll be fine. I drive much, much more safely now and ㅡ"

"No no no no," she repeats, shaking her head. "You know how that went last time. I can't ever do that again."

"It won't happen this time. I'll stop the car if you feel unsafe, I promise," he pleads, doe eyes staring at her intently.

Valentina sighs. "But...but Jungkook!"

Jungkook leans forwards, and says in low voice, "Kento's men might be there tonight. We can get some information."

Valentina freezes as soon as she hears those words. And then slowly nods. "Alright."

Jungkook fist pumps the air. "Yesssss."

Valentina chuckles. "You better drive carefully, or else I'm going to be the one who kills you."

. . .