˗ˋ 01

CHAPTER ONE

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH COLLISIONS OCCUR

. . .

"MISS ZABINI! MISS ZABINI!" The words were squeaky, and almost as annoying as the alarm on her clock, and Karina resisted the urge to throw one of the duck-feather pillows beneath her head of ashy, unnaturally blonde hair at the house-elf, as thin, bony hands grabbed her shoulders and shook. "Miss Zabini! You need to get up! Mr Tom has brought you tea, exactly as you like it."

Fia the house-elf didn't exactly know why her Mistress Karina and Master Blaise had insisted that she joined them to London that year, but as Mistress Lucrezia wasn't at home, she had no choice but to follow. And if she were to leave the warmth of Italy in summer behind for England as it began to cool down in wake of Autumn, she was going to take her job seriously. 

And she had been instructed on many occasions by Mistress Lucrezia to wake her children up on the 31st of August and the 1st of September at precisely eight o'clock in the morning. So, Fia would do so.

"Miss Zabini!" The high-pitched words continued to flow out, and when Karina finally groaned and tore the pink satin eye mask from over her face as she sat up, Fia had retreated and was now holding onto a highly-polished tray, on which sat some of the elaborate china that Tom - of the Leaky Cauldron - owned, and held onto simply for the more important people who stayed there.

"I'm up Fia." The girl replied. "Do you not have my lemon water? Tea is no good in the morning - it doesn't flush out the toxins, does it? Go on, go and get it whilst you wake up my brother."

"Mistress Karina, I have your water here." Fia squeaked, her bare feet pattering over the wooden floor as she came to stop in front of the dark oak chest of drawers opposite to the four-poster bed, and the Zabini girl watched as the pink silk that covered her legs smoothed over without even being touched, and the house-elf returned with the tray, perching on the end of the bed as she poured a cup of steaming hot water, added several drops of cloudy, slightly yellow liquid from the vial and a chunk of the fruit and it's candied rind. "Here, Miss. Shall I go and wake up Master Blaise now?"

"Please. Are my clothes laid out?" Karina asked, taking a sip from the golden rim of the tea cup and watching as the house-elf directed her gaze over to the partition screen, which had several items laid over it. "Thank you. You may go." 

The elf disappeared with the trademark crack, and very suddenly, Karina was left alone in the room, the presence of Fia replaced by the sounds of the Leaky Cauldron and the nearby train tracks as one of the muggle inventions chuntered by.