˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY
COLLIDE ONCE MORE

. . .

"ADRIAN PUCEY, YOU DAMN BASTARD." Usually, Karina wasn't one to swear in such a vulgar manner whilst in public, but sat across the table from her was none other than the brunette Slytherin and his stupid ice cream sundae. 

"Swearing makes you look most unladylike." Adrian commented, rolling his eyes as his extracted several rose-coloured napkins from the metal dispenser and handing her them. She didn't take them. "Come on - I'm not wiping it up for you."

Karina grumbled something to herself, before snatching the thin sheets of pink from his hand and reaching down to wipe the spilled dessert. "You should have done. It's only polite. I have every mind to make you do it." Karina continued. "These are worth more than your entire day of purchasing." 

Her and Adrian had been friends since the beginning of their time at Hogwarts, and as Karina spent her last day of the holidays trying to seek out anybody that she even remotely knew from her connections or acquaintances from school, her eyes landed on the dark-haired who played Chaser alongside her. 

And seeing as they were friends, it was only courteous for her to invite him for ice cream in the midst of the sunny day. She couldn't quite have him passing out from heat stroke. 

Now, however, she was regretting it even the slightest bit more than she originally expected to. Because nothing to her were more important than the outfit she picked out every morning. And this outfit included very expensive shoes. 

"If these get damaged, I'll owl you the amount you owe. Or force it out of you when it comes too tomorrow." Karina straightened up, discarded the napkins on one end of the table. "I'll have Fia examine them thoroughly tonight."

"I'll be awaiting the letter." Adrian sat back in his chair, head tilted as Karina rolled her eyes. "Aren't they just muggle shoes?" He asked.

"Only the best muggle shoes." She snapped. "And this is the second time they've been threatened by liquid-like substances no doubtedly filled with extract of Sugar Shrub or powdered Moondew." Karina sighed, her eyes still on the pink toes of her shoes. 

"And who was the first? I pity anyone who comes across you and your shoes, whether they are muggle fashion or not." Adrian tilted his head, his own gaze focused on someone just past Karina's shoulder.

Pursing her lips, Karina turned and followed in the same direction. In her line of vision was a blonde, who was clearly working at Madam Malkin's, opposite the Fortescue Ice Cream. "Really Adrian? I wouldn't have thought her to be your type." The Zabini girl commented, turning back and taking a small spooful of her lavender, pistachio and white chocolate ice cream. 

"You know me too well. I was only looking for a night of fun, but I suppose it's not that worth it." The Pucey boy replied, hand reaching up to flick the hair out of his eyes. "So who was it?"

"Remember how the Weasels left their Burrow for Egypt after winning the Daily Prophet prize?" Karina asked, watching as Adrian nodded. "Well, they're back, and they've taken over the Leaky Cauldron with their ginger hair and strange unnaturalness."

"And which threatened to ruin your shoes?"

"Take a guess." A new voice joined the conversation, and the bemused expression on Karina's face as she retold the story dropped. Her head turned towards the white picket fencing that cornered off the outside seating area for the parlour, and found two identical faces staring at her.

She sighed, pulling the pink sunglasses down over her nose for a moment to examine them. "Did your mother forget to teach you that it was rude to eavesdrop? Or was she too busy wondering whether she had enough Sickles to buy some more wool so that she could sew yet another patch onto your jumpers?"

Fred shook his head, as his twin rolled his eyes. "Trust me, Zabini, I hardly wanted to see you now anymore than I did this morning." He chimed in.

"It was merely a coincidence that we - of all people - managed to overhear you speaking of our family's strange unnaturalness." George rose an eyebrow. "Really, do you think we would come over for any other reason."

"Perhaps you would. It hasn't seemed to stopped you from tormenting me these past few years." Karina adjusted her seating, not a glance spared over to Adrian. Her legs crossed, one arm languidly resting over them, the second perched on the arm of the chair. "I can pass off the incident this morning as no more than an accident, but seeing you lurking around here and joining my conversation without invitation isn't so easily distorted."

"Let me save you the trouble then." Fred leaned forward. "It's no coincidence whatsoever, we just overheard your conversation and decided we weren't particularly interested in hearing it." 

"That's a real shame." Karina scoffed, spare hand reaching for her tub of ice cream. "Now, let me save you some trouble. For future reference, I couldn't care less whether you're interested in what I have to say or not. I will say it either way. You are neither influential nor crucial enough for me to care about how you feel about my words." 

"Now, now, now." Fred shook his head, leaning even closer. There was a cocky grin on his face and Karina could have sworn at him. She always knew, no matter how hard she tried to put the meaning forward and to articulate herself well, the twins would just let the words glide off of them as if she never even said them at all. "It's not worth getting all riled up over, is it?"

"No, I think it's a rather appropriate topic to find myself interested in." Karina retorted, tilting backwards to further the distance from him. "This however, isn't appropriate. Please get away from me."

Fred moved closer, pausing. "Well, since you asked so nicely." He stepped back, glancing at George. 

"Perce will be waiting for us to give his badge back." The second twin said. George wasn't so interested in getting all up close and personal with Karina Zabini of all people. The same couldn't be said for Fred, obviously.

"Yeah. I'd keep an eye on your prefect badge, Zabini. Wouldn't want it to be.. altered, would we?" Fred asked.

"How did you-"

"Keep an eye on it, that's all."

"I'll steal his stupid Beater bat and bash his head in the first chance I get." Karina muttered as she settled into the seat again. "Thanks for the support, by the way Pucey. After ruining my shoes I thought you would at least try and get back into my good books."

"I thought you were to have Fia examine them later?" Adrian chuckled, shaking his head. "And I thought you had it handled pretty well.. but I guess I never noticed just how much he gets under your skin until now."

She swore.

Her ice cream had melted.

a/n
i think we all knew
karina's personality
would be like this, so don't
be so surprised that she's such
a bitch about the weasleys