Pt 4 | Healing and Helping

Shay couldn't believe she had done it. She had just talked to a human – and she wasn't in a box or a jar or being grabbed by fingers the size of her body. The thrill was ten times more real than anything that she ever experienced climbing lines or learning to free fall in the walls. It made her feel ill. Her head swirled unnecessarily fast while she tried to hold still and look up at the human. When did the edges of her vision blacken? When did the ringing in her ears start? She wasn't sure when it happened, but Shay suddenly was sitting on the ground cross-legged and the human's shadow hovered near her.

His voice sounded so distant, but the young teen knew the human was speaking. It took a moment to concentrate on what he was saying as she watching his lips moving. Over and over, he repeated the same phrase.

"Are you alright? Hey, you're okay. You're okay. You're alright." Something about catching his gaze this time, latching onto those eyes, didn't stoke the fear as it did minutes ago. He was still just as intimidating, but at least he had kind eyes and a reassuring smile that reminded her of her brothers.

Shay nodded timidly and, not knowing what to do with her hands, wrang them against the strap of her bag which was still slung across her chest. She winced again, which the human seemed to pick up on in an instant of reading her features.

"Are your hands hurt?" he asked. Shay nodded, still feeling a lump her in throat choking any more words from coming out. He mimicked the nod and looked past her. "I... erm... need to get my first aid kit. It's in one of these boxes. Can I... get past?" Shay couldn't move away from the middle of the threshold fast enough and hurriedly pressed her back against the baseboard beside the door. The human nodded with another smile and stood to his full height before leaving the room.

Shay hadn't stopped to think about how hard her heart was pounding against her chest and how her ribs and body held an unbelievable amount of tension like the anticipation in the air before a strike of lightening and roll of thunder. A shuddered breath escaped her lungs as she brought her knees to her chest. Her eyes, which felt like sandpaper even with the moisture gathering in the corners of them, felt glazed and tired.

Shay almost didn't want to blink, terrified of the thought that she might fall asleep if she were to blink even a single time. I need to stay awake. I can't fall asleep. I won't fall asleep. I need the human to help. He didn't catch me. He didn't hurt me or grab me or... Shay didn't realize she was breathing faster and faster. It didn't matter how much she tried to breathe and calm her mind. It was futile. There was too much going on. Too many sounds. Too many sights. Too many smells. Too many thoughts.

"Okay, so I don't have anything for burns specifically, but I do have... hey, you okay?" The human's words came from nowhere up above and slightly behind Shay. A jolting shiver electrified her spine and had her sit bolt upright as she turned her eyes skyward, a timid squeak escaping from her mouth. The human had returned and with surprising stealth. Shay didn't even hear him approach or even notice that he was kneeling in the doorway mere feet from her.

Instantly, he looked completely apologetic and guilt ridden, retracting from her immediate vicinity. She swallowed dryly again and rubbed her eyes, unintentionally, with her rope burned blistered palms.

"You... okay?" he asked again. Shay nodded after immediately regretting rubbing her dry eyes. "Right. Well, like I was saying. I don't have anything for burns specifically, but I can go and get some if you want. Or, if you'd like, I have this Vaseline. It's kinda gross and slimy, but it's great for moisturizing and keeping your skin soft. It's not aloe, but it's all I have right now. Sorry. I also have these bandages to wrap around your hands so you, you know, you can wrap your hands. I'm... going to be quiet now."

With that, the human set down the Vaseline lid down and scooted back so he sat on the opposite side of the door from her and slightly outside of his own room, back pressed against the hallway wall. He pulled out the bandages and a pair of scissors longer than Shay was tall and began methodically cutting strips of cloth. Shay shuddered at seeing the sharp sides slicing through the cloth effortlessly and hoped the human wouldn't turn this device against her.