Chapter 3

The car ride was the most horrible experience Izuku had ever been forced into. It was worse than fighting on rooftops. It was worse than Kacchan's explosions. It was worse than a year ago.

Ok well. Maybe not worse than that. But it was still pretty bad.

Present Mic kept trying to make conversation. Izuku knew he wasn't trying to do any harm, but it was just weird. Izuku only answered yes or no questions after giving his address. Present Mic made a face when he realized where that was.

Izuku knew he had lived in a bad neighborhood, but it hurt to see that. He had friends there, friends worth protecting. Like they ever needed it, though. Living there forced you to learn how to protect yourself, willingly or otherwise.

When they got to the apartment complex, Present Mic grabbed two bags from Izuku to lessen his struggle.

Izuku's heart wouldn't stop pounding as they got closer to their destination. He hoped and prayed to every god he could think of that the landlord hadn't changed the locks yet. He could just hide out in the apartment for a few minutes and then head in the other direction. Towards Hosu. Away from the apartment, away from Present Mic and other heroes.

The gods did not seem to be on his side that day. When Izuku tried to put in his key, it wouldn't budge. He pushed harder. It wouldn't give. He sighed, shoulders dropping. He left the key halfway in the hole and looked over his shoulder.

"Funny story," he said. "The locks were changed."

"Do your parents change the locks often?" Present Mic asked, looking around the hallway. "This isn't the safest place, can't blame them."

"No, I've been evicted." There, just ripped it off like a bandaid.

The hero looked even more confused. "Are your parents out looking for a new place? I can drop you off with them."

Izuku blinked. How dense could a hero be? "I don't have parents."

It took a while, but it eventually registered. "Oh! Oh. Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's whatever." Izuku shrugged. "Now if I can have my bags, I'll just go to the homeless shelter."

A hand caught his elbow as he tried to move passed. "Wait a sec, Little Listener. I think I can help you."

Izuku really shouldn't be trusting a stranger, Pro Hero or not. But he sighed and let the man lead him back to his car. Once he was buckled in, he let his head rest on the window.

The drive to wherever Izuku was being taken was a lot longer than the drive to the apartment. They passed by houses, parks, stores. They even passed U.A. Izuku stared at the building until it physically hurt his neck to strain it.

It turned out that Present Mic actually lived about a five minute walk away from campus. Which, that was to be expected considering he taught there.

They pulled into a driveway of a pretty nice house. It wasn't too big, like some heroes tended to have. But it clearly had room for two people. If Izuku were to guess, there were at least three floors.

Present Mic snapped him out of his thoughts by grabbing his bags out of his lap and exiting the vehicle. Izuku followed suit.

"Where are we?" Izuku asked.

Present Mic seemed startled, as if Izuku should know. Then he slightly shook his head and grinned. "My house!"

"I think this is kidnapping."

Present Mic unlocked the front door. "Is it kidnapping if you have no legal guardian?" He kicked the door open. "Shouta! I'm back!"

Upon hearing the loud voice, two soft meows came down the hall. Izuku gasped when two cats appeared. One was clearly still a kitten, with black spots on short, white fur. The other one, the older one, had long, orange fur.