Part 8-End: When Blue learned to fly

Blue felt uncomfortable being with people, she felt like they were judging her; yet they were partying and enjoying life with one another. It was anxious of the dark figure appearing again. She didn't want to attract attention. Katie had disappeared for a moment to give Blue a present as well. Half of the people were outside talking or sitting down near different areas and the other half were inside sitting on the couch or surrounding the cake. Blue was in the kitchen, she separated herself away from the people. She was never really good at socializing even when she was coming out of her shell little by little. She twirled her curly hair that left from her bun that her mother helped her with. It was in front of her face as she watched it bounce back into place each time.

"Hey Blue." Blue froze as she put her hands to her side to see James who was in a light blue suit with black tennis shoes on. He had a few inches to her so he had to crank her neck up a bit. She gave him a small smile before responding, "Hi James. Am I in your way?" Blue wasn't anywhere near the fridge, but she was so anxious that she couldn't look James in the eye. James set the cup down on the counter as he wiped his hands on his pants. "Oh no, I just wanted to talk to you for a moment." Blue's heart started to thump loudly in her ear and watched as dark figure started to appear behind James. She grew more frightened than nervous. She pulled focus on James as his eyes started gleam of something usual to Blue. He smiled wide showing his teeth. "What about ?" She was curious. He shifted his weight around and tap his left foot twice. "Will you dance with me when the music isn't crappy?" Blue busted out a small laugh which made James smile more. "Of course James. Just tell me when." Blue didn't notice the small blush appear on his face. "Great, but I was wondering if you want to talk some more; you've been in my class this whole year and we've only talked like twice or something." Blue nodded smiling showing her bright teeth,"I'll love that."

As the sky grew darker, the candles lit up on the yellow whip cream cake saying Happy Birthday Katie . Everyone stood around and sing happy birthday almost in harmony with James and Blue standing beside each other. The back of their hands touching and neither of them trying to reach and hold them. They glanced at each other and looked away sheepishly, continuing to sing happy birthday and they all clapping. Blue looked past Katie's smiling face to see the dark figure standing there. It was like the loud noises decreased and the focus on the dark figure gave it more shape. Blue glared at it, she closed her eyes and whispered in her mind.

I am smart

I am needed

I matter to me and others

I can move mountains

I am loved

She opened her eyes in slight fear to see if the dark figure was still there, but it was gone. The loudness getting louder and everyone chattered with each other. Blue felt a hand grab hers, she looks down to see James' hand there holding her tightly. She looks up to see him smiling at her.

"Let's get to know each other."