Chapter One - Savannah

I sling my blue and white duffel over my shoulder at the ring of the bell. Stitched snowflakes sprinkle through the blue swirl on my bag. Just as I start to head out I hear Megan and Lily giggling happily. Ever since Megan became Lily's first favorite friend, Megan spares me no attention. Megan's auburn hair was straight and shiny, her freckled face had a hint of blush on it. Her lips were painted strawberry pink. I wrinkle my nose. I wear an occasional lip gloss of eye liner during competition but not at school! Sarah, Lily's old first best friend was walking behind them, forcing her fake laughter between the two. I sadly walk away from the group, heading towards the gym. After I arrive, I change into a PBG practice leotard with white and blue shimmery sparkles and head to the floor to warm up.

 Trista and Carmen are already there doing splits. "Hey Savvy." Trista says. Ever since I called her DQ in practice, she's been calling me Savvy. "Hey DQ." I reply smoothly. Trista raises her eyebrow and Carmen giggles. "Girls, lets condition!" James calls. I lean down into my splits and yawn. "Bad sleep?" Marissa ask's, settling next to us. "Just tired." I say, stifling another yawn. After stretching, I throw a few back handsprings and put on my grips. I chalk and glide into a kip to cast handstand. I complete a clean sole circle into my long hang kip. A solid straddle cast handstand clear hip circle follows, then a half pirouette into an overshoot. Bars has never been a problem for me. I hear a thump and slowly swing to a stop. Trista is face down on the mats, groaning as she gets up. "Still haven't got your overshoot?" I ask. "Obviously." She replies. I grab a spring board and jump in a kip on the high bar. I complete my cast handstand and perform a few giants before swinging into my layout flyaway dismount. 

Trista grumbles enviously at my clean dismount and confident salute. "Nice one Anna." James calls out. I grin, sending Trista into another fit of jealous rants. Next, I head to beam. During practice, beam isn't so bad, when the competitions start arriving, that's when the trouble starts. We have a meet coming up on Saturday, invitationals, and I'm looking to clean up my routine. I mount the beam and kick into a back walkover. I do my handstand for one second and full turn, wobbling a little. I prepare and do my back handspring back tuck, I wobble and my arms do what James calls the helicopter. I manage to stay on the beam and do my leaps. Once I'm at the end of the beam, I run into a front handspring layout dismount. I let out a relief filled breath and move to floor. Me and Trista goof off a bit and do a handstand walking competition. After we both fall down laughing (I won for the record) I notice Paige working on her tumbling. Trista seems to notice me looking, "She's been at it for hours." Trista says. Paige does a stunning round off back handspring layout and I have a feeling I should be working on that too. I stand up and walk to the corner of the mat. Paige notices my prepared stance and moves out of the way, a hint of annoyance on her face. I dash into a roundoff back handspring layout and rebound nicely. "Nice one." Paige says, eager to regain the mat. I smile and walk to another mat. 

I practice my dance sequence and complete the same tumbling pass. More dance moves and a front layout roundoff back handspring pike. I bend my knees and don't take any steps. More dance into aerial, then finally my last tumbling pass. A front handspring layout ½ twist. I land with a large rebound and salute as if I was in a competition. I perform a clean back extension roll and turn into my ending pose. I'm so excited for the meet. I need to get a 30.00 in invitationals to qualify for States, then be in the top percentage of my age group to get into regionals. I walk back over to bars to chalk my sweaty hands. "Sweet routine!" Alexis says. Her blond hair pulled into a hair sprayed bun and her lips painted cherry red. 

"What's the occasion?" I ask. She flushes a bit and replies, "Nothing." I raise my eyebrows but don't poke for any more answers. I walk to the vault and prep. "Let's see it Anna." James says, walking to the vault. I nod and run into a roundoff, a hurdle, and punch the board. I tuck my head into my chest and bend my knees when I land. Besides the small step, it was a decent yurchenko. "Good one Anna, remember to spot the wall and bend your knees more when you land." I nod, a little out of breath. I start towards a free tumbling strip and notice Marissa running into a front handspring front layout round off back handspring back layout. She rebounds cleanly and takes a tiny step to steady herself. I slide into my splits and wonder what it would be like to go to Regionals.