Chapter Nine - Paige

I rub chalk on my sweaty palms. "Today's order is, Bars, beam, floor, vault." James says. I nod confidently. For my warmup, I use the springboard to kip up to the high bar and turn half way on my cast handstand. I do my overshoot and weakly grab the bars, forcing myself into a slow kip to cast handstand. My arms burn as I slide off the bars. After everyone warms up, we sit in silence and watch Savannah's routine. She does a clean routine and lands with no steps. Next, it's my turn. I salute the judges and kip up to a straddled cast. 

I do my sole circle and stand on the top of the low bar. The next section is easy, jump to high bar, kip to cast handstand, two clear hip circles into a giant and half handstand pirouette. I prep for my overshoot jump to the low bar. As I'm rotating, my feet slam into the high bar and I have to bring my legs up to avoid hitting the mat below. I do a slow and strained kip to cast handstand and sole circle. I make it to the high bar and do two giants before my layout flyaway dismount. I land cleanly and walk towards James. Angry tears bud in my eyes, it wasn't fair I was so tall! "My legs hit the bar." I say. "It's ok red, shake it off." James says, patting my shoulder. I sit down miserably and I see my score pop up on the board. 8.25. My stomach curdles. I needed to get nines on every event. Invitationals, maybe not so much. A 30.00 AA is easy. But at State, I couldn't afford a score like 8.25. We rotate to beam and I'm last. I warm up on beam with a front tuck and an aerial. I land the skills with nothing but a few wobbles and my smile returns. Marissa lands her back handspring back tuck with no wobbles and scores a stunning 8.95. I swallow jealously and wait for my turn. I salute the judges after Alexis goes and mount the beam. I do my full turn into leaps and land nicely. I do an aerial back handspring and wobble a bit, squat down a bit to keep balance. Straight toes, I think as a do my back extension roll. 

My front handspring front tuck is mostly clean and finally I'm at my dismount. I flash my arms a bit and do a half turn. Back handspring back layout ½ twist and I'm done. I took a step on the landing and it wasn't as nice as I would've liked, but I'm overall satisfied. Savannah is looking at her phone and her eyes are misty. I start to walk over but Trista sits next to her and says something. Floor is next and I'm up fifth. I warm up some dance moves and tumbling during my 30 second time slot. What..?" Savannah asks Trista as she smiles wickedly. "Nothing. @BFFS4EVA was just banned for cyberbullying and tormenting a future Olympic gymnast for being human. Everyone makes mistakes. Lily's biggest one was being an immature insecure bully." Savannah gasps "Go off girl." I say. "I bow to the queen of rant, Trista." Carmen says. 

We all laugh. Once I'm up, I smile at the judges and start my wolf turn as the music starts. I do a front tuck roundoff back handspring back layout ½ twist and land with a rebound, almost sending me out of the white line. I do leaps into the center of the mat and throw an aerial. And a straddle jump. I dance to the corner of the mat and do a roundoff back handspring back pike. I land with minimum rebound and give an award winning grin to the judges. I move my body to the music and cartwheel halfways, then fall into a middle split. Once the music ends, I stand up and salute the judges. "Way to come back Red!" James says. I smile. 8.75, I think. A decent score. I know I can do better next time. James leads us to vault and we all warm up with a simple handspring vault. "Paige, you're up after Trista, ok?" James tells me. "Yep." I reply. Carmen does a beautiful vault as always and Savannah scores a sweet 8.85. Trista stumbles a bit and just like that, I'm up. I run towards the springboard and do a strong roundoff. My feet slam into the springboard and I tuck my head into my chest. 

I land with a step and salute the judges. James nods for me to do my second vault and I run towards the springboard again. I flip cleanly and land with no straps. My score is an 8.5 and turn to Marissa for my AA. She's grinning to herself, probably calculating her score. Minutes later I receive my card.

Paige's Score Card

Bars: 8.25

Beam: 8.50

Floor: 8.75

Vault: 8.50

AA: 34.00

I smile down at my card. Maybe not as good as I would've liked, but I scored out! State was going to be my time to shine.