Chapter Four - Carmen

I slowly fall down to the matts after I attempt my back handspring back tuck on the beam. I swipe my sweaty hand over my forehead, smearing chalk on my face. I've been working all day, trying to nail my routines. I want, more than anything, to compete at regionals. I head over to the floor. Savannah and Marissa are doing back extension rolls, Paige is on bars with Trista and Alexis is icing her ankle and watching us. Her face still has tears on it and a thick tuft of her bob fell out of her bun. I feel terrible for her and a pit sets in my stomach as I wonder what would happen if that was me. I stare at the culprit, the vault, and decide that I'm done with the vault for the day. I decide to try out my routine. I salute and ready myself. Full turn, hand flick, roundoff back handspring back layout, hollow your body, small step, keep going! 

Pivot turn, dance dance, back extension roll, back walkover back handspring. Front handspring front layout ½ twist, Squeeze your body, bend your legs, rebound. Handstand, bridge kickover back aerial. Switch leap, wolf jump, dance dance, pose! I salute then check the big clock by the bleachers. The time reads: 6: 37 PM. I groan, twenty-three more minutes until freedom. I notice that Alexis's brother Ethan is hanging around watching us work. I decide to head back to the beam, determined to get my back tuck. This summer, training was intense. I mount the beam and say my skills in my head. Full turn, kick to handstand and down. Aerial, point your toes, land firm, slight wobble, continue. Switch leap, wobble, wolf turn. My leg swings around in a wolf turn and my foot barely connects with the beam. I keel forward and grab the beam with my hands. I quickly shift to my other leg, kick up and stand back down on the beam in a lunge.

 Say your skills Carmen. Kick leg up, half turn, small wobble, walk to the end of the beam, Back handspring, back tuck. One of my feet hits the beam but only half of the other, making my foot slide off. My other foot leans with my falling foot and I fall down to the mats. I quickly mount back up to the beam and take a shaky breath. Dismount time Carmen! Front handspring front layout, squeeze, hollow your belly, bend your knees, no steps! I salute and breathe a sigh of relief. "Nice one frogger!" Calls James. I sigh, I still can't believe that nickname stuck! I check the time again, 6:49 PM. Uhgggggg, eleven more minutes. I head over to bars, putting my grips on and smearing my hands in a thick layer of chalk, which sweat through almost immediately. I take a deep breath. Time to say the skills Carmen. Kip, look at your toes, pull up into handstand, hold, sole circle, jump to high bar, kip into cast handstand, hold, squeeze your body. 

Turn in your handstand and overshoot. I twist in the air but don't end up rotating fully, so when I catch the bar, my body is still sideways. The momentum of falling down yanks my body forwards. My feet skid on the ground, stopping my kip. "Owww." I complain, rolling my shoulders backwards. James walkes over. He directs me up to the high bar. I use a springboard to kip up into a cast handstand. I twist down for my overshoot. James grabs my waist, twisting me fully down so I can catch the low bar. I kip up into my cast handstand. James gives a thumbs up before wincing at the sound of Trista hitting the mats again as she falls on her overshoot. He quickly runs over to help her and I continue my routine. Sole circle and jump to high bar. Long hang kip, keep your legs straight, toes pointed. Clear hip, toes pointed. Giant, Giant, hollow your body and layout flyaway. I jump a little when I land and take a small step. I quickly salute before peeling my grips off. They leave a small red mark on my wrists. 

I check the time and see 7:02 PM. I quickly run up to the kip cubbies and place my grips inside my gym bag. I pull on navy blue shorts and a dark blue sweatshirt with a berry pie and a cheesy quote on it that says "This is berry berry delicious!" "Oh, hey Paige." Marissa says as Paige enters the room. "Hey." says Paige. "I'm really nervous about beam." Savannah says, twirling her blond hair around her finger. "At least you didn't fall during practice." I say, wincing. "My bars routine is a wreck too." I say. Paige laughs, "My legs hit the low bar on Saturday. I still have bruises." We all join in laughing until we hear the shrill call of parents who've been stuck in traffic for twenty minutes. "I gotta go." Paige says. "You think I'm not going?" I say, sending us into fits of laughter. "Mija!" My mom yells, sending us rocketing down the stairs. "See you tomorrow!" Savannah says as she enters her mom's car. "Bye!" We all yell.