Chapter 18

3rd Person 

Marinette stumbled backwards when the bamboo cane struck the side of her head. Stars burst into her vision as the sound of a chair scraping the floor barely caught her ears from the pain in her skull. 

Blood coated the side of her head, slowly dripping to her cheek. Every ounce of control she once had, slowly flickered away when she reached up to her head and felt the wound. Blood covered her fingertips lightly. 

Lotus, her grandmother, didn't show a sign of remorse on her face. "I told you Mei. You should have listened. Now sit down and you will do as I say." Marinette didn't move and simply stared at the blood on her hand. Control started ebbing away faster and her breathing becoming harder. 

Marin knew exactly what was happening and bolted from his spot, but stopped when he saw a smile slowly came onto her face. A smile reached her lips as her powers started begging her for control. And she didn't fight back. Her eyes glowed black and she looked up at her grandmother. 

Lotus stumbled back when she saw her eyes. "No. I have no reason to listen to you. Grandmother, you will never control me, not in any universe will you control me. I don't respond to your request, commands, pleas, begs, nothing." 

Her smile grew bigger and she flicked her hand to the table. Black wrapped around the table, freezing the people. Marin stared at his twin sister, not knowing what to do; torn between wanting to help his sister gain back control, and wanting to see his Grandmother be shoved off her high horse. 

Marinette sighed. "Are you gonna speak? Or are you just going to stare at me?" Lotus didn't make a single move. Marinette rolled her eyes and flicked her hand. Lotus' cane crumbled to dust and Marinette sauntered forward to her Grandmother. 

Her heels clicked on the floor, echoing through the tensely silent room. She stopped in front of her grandmother and reached her, dragging her finger from her temple to her chin softly. Her grandmother looked frozen in place though Marinette knew very well she could still move if she wished. 

"You know, I've had just about enough of you ruling my life. Do you have anything to say or are you finally going to let me talk?" A whimper came from her grandmother, causing a pleased look to spread across Marinette's face. 

"P-please Mei. Do-don't do t-this." Her lips pulled downward into a frown. "Still telling me what to do, are we? Hmm~" Black trailed from her fingertips and black slowly started casing Lotus from her feet. "We're going to have to fix that..." 

A cold look spread in her eyes, her eyes seeming to grow darker as a soft smile appeared on Marinette's face. She suddenly looked very dangerous, more than any villain in Gotham; she was powerful, could think clearly, and had always been unpredictable, since she was little. There was nothing more dangerous than that. 

Marin was frozen, staring at his twin; he'd never seen her this way and knew all too well, it was her power controlling her. It was always strongest on the full moon. He had seen it before. It was during her first full moon, and she hadn't known how to control herself. 

He had tried to calm her down but had gotten hurt accidentally. After that, Marinette almost always locked herself up during the full moon or simply left the bakery and didn't come back till the sun started coming up. 

Marin swallow thickly but spoke despite his dry throat. "Mare.. Please.. this isn't y-you." His voice broke at the end. Marinette turned to her brother, her black eyes taking in his appearance. She stared at him and his fear-filled eyes. 

Shock echoed through her and her eyes seemed to dim for a split second. Her little brother had never been scared of her. Not ever; every time she'd used her powers, he'd never been scared. Her arms dropped to her sides, eyes glued to Marin's blue-grey eyes.