Chapter 20

3rd Person

Marin Dupain prided himself in being very calm during times of distress. His job called for it after all; scientist ran around like crazy, yelling in their own language on what they need, their findings, and every other thing that they found amazing. 

His workstation was always messy but organized; papers and pens strewn messily around his desk, empty phials everywhere and the left portion of his space filled with his experimental notes and chemicals. 

So that was why he was in his hotel room pacing in front of his friends, stumbling over his words in English, Mandarin, French, and Romanian, talking to nothing in particular just trying calm himself. Chloe was speaking rapidly in French, talking to her mother over the phone; Alix was breaking pencils in half; Nathaniel and Marc were soothing Nino, who looked halfway ready to destroy Gotham to find Marinette with his eyes glowing. 

A knock at the door drew him out of his pacing, causing him to stride to the door. Forcing a calm look over his face, Marin opened the door. A lady stood there, a harsh look on her face; 2 guards stood behind her. 

"Hello. Are you Marin Dupain?" He nodded slowly. "Yes I am. Who may you be?" "Madame Klein. I need a test done to ensure you aren't a safety hazard as your sister is." Marin tensed and clenched his fist, a white-hot anger piercing him. "Of course. Come in." 

He gestured for the to come in and she strode inside, not even sparing his friends a glance. Chloe paused her French for a second but continued, this time speaking faster than before. Nino dulled his eyes, and they went back to the normal hazel color. Nathan, Marc, and Alix stared; their eyes sharp. 

"I'm going to have Brian trigger your eye color and it will show your true eye color, not the trick the others do." One of the men stepped forward, Brian he supposed. Marin stared him straight in the eyes and quick as lightning, something clamped down on his wrist. 

Before he could do anything, power rushed through him and his head pounded. The space around him shimmered gold. Marin swore he saw Madame Klein's shoulders loosen slightly. "You are a true gold. Good. Now I need to ask you few questions. Brian, you can take of the band." 

The man undid the band on his wrist and Marin rubbed his wrist carefully, wincing when his fingers came in contact with the tender flesh. It had been burned slightly. 'Stupid Bracelet-thingy.'

He nodded wearily, his eyes flickering around before resting on the woman. "Do you know where your sister is currently hiding?" Anger flooded his brain before being forced back. "No ma'am." 

"Were you aware she was a black before her blow up?" 

"No." 

'Liar, Liar, Pants on fire' his brain hissed. 

'Don't care, Don't care, I'll throw my pant in the air' he said. 

"Were you with her at the time of her blow up?" 

"Yes." 

"Was anybody else with you?" 

He hesitated before nodding reluctantly. 

"Yes." It was barely audible but she caught it. 

"Who?" 

"My grandmother, a few cousins, and 2 other people. A family union dinner." He proceeded to tell her the name, keeping a few details to himself. 

Madame Klein continued scribbling, her head bobbing along with his word. Finally, when she was done, she gave him a strained smile; he pretended to not notice the hidden disgust in her eyes. "Thank you for answering all the questions. We will leave you be now." 

Standing swiftly, she strode out of the room, not even waiting for him to show her out. When she and the men were gone, a body slammed straight into him, an almighty screech bursting right next to his ears. 

"WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT DUPAIN?! ARE YOU AN FUCKING IDIOT?! YOU TOLD THEM EVERYTHING AND WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE NETTIE IS?! YOU FUCKING SHITFACE BASTARD!!" Some voice in the back of his mind told him that Chloe hadn't cursed like that in a while. It also noted that she deserved a medal for the world's most eardrum-bursting screech.

Marin none too gently pushed her away before rubbing his ears. "One, where did you learn to screech like that? Two, never throw yourself at me like that. I'm a stick draped with skin. Three, I do know where she is. You forget one very important thing." 

He was met with a raised eyebrow. "And what is that thing." He smiled sardonically and waved his phone in her face. "She's dating my boss's son, who knows where she is. And I'm her twin, it'd be kinda hard to keep us apart after what just happened. Besides, we do have a twin link. And with my mind power, I can literally pinpoint her location." 

"And why haven't you done that already?" "Because Nettie, being the stubborn and private person she is, keeps the link blocked most of the time. I can't overrule her power, nor do I want to try. I'm not willing to sacrifice my limbs for that." 

Chloe growled before going back to where she was before. Marin twirled a random pen in his hand before throwing it as hard as he could. It knocked into a glass causing it to shatter on the ground. 

Swearing violently, he began to clean up the glass, not caring that his hands started to bleed. He was in pain often enough; this wasn't anything new. Why stop now?

He clenched his hand around the glass, allowing the anger he held back before to wash to the forefront of his mind. For a moment, all he felt was power and that was all he needed. Then it all washed away when his sister's voice resounded through his head. 

'Marin?'

'Nettie?!'

A/N: I'M ALIVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!... Though sometimes I wish I wasn't but we're not talking about that. 

So the chapter before still holds, I just finally got around to doing this chapter. So I guess instead of discontinuing it might be updates that are very few and far between. Basically just a really slow updating books. 

I might update An Assassin's Love but we'll see... 

Love you all!!

Danielle