one

It was all dark

It was all dark. Like the longest night, he was spending. There seemed to be no ending at all.

"Doctor Minjae! Hurry!"

His ears perked at the unwanted shout. 

"Shit! His heart rate is irregular!"

"Give me the injection!"  

There was hustle, chaos and loud voices were all he could feel and hear. He wanted to yell, voice out— shut up, they all were giving him a headache but he could not. The owners of those voices were doing something. He could not make out what. 

Numb, he was numb, laying on what felt like a bed, somewhere he didn't recognize. But why was his breath so quick and hard?

"It's impossible! His pulse is getting down!" 

A cold thing was placed atop his right chest, it was so cold he trembled. And a wave of shock shot in him, he was jolted up. 

"But we have to save him!" 

"C'mon c'mon. You have to come back!" 

And again. It kept going on till he gasped for air so hard and felt his breath slowly becoming normal. 

"You have fought all the way, you can't give up now!" 

Fought? What were they saying? He could not understand a thing. He tried to open his eyes but his eyelids felt so heavy. He tried once again and the second time he could open his eyes but there was a bright light that greeted him. He was barely able to keep his eyes open because of that. The chaos occurring around him somehow shushed down after that. 

"He is opening his eyes!" 

"Call him right now!" 

"Check the monitor!" 

Shut up, please. Please. He wanted to say this so much, but those words were stuck at the tip of his tongue. He parted his lips to speak as he moved his head right and left, trying to get a better sight, because the light was still blinding him. 

He blinked several times while trying to speak. But why couldn't he? Without knowing, he felt his eyes filling with tears. He wanted to scream. But why was his voice held down inside his throat? Am I mute? That's all he could think. 

"His heartbeat is back to normal, again." 

"Thank God." 

A groan came off from him, his head was aching badly and so heavy, he felt like a big stone was over his head. Soon after seconds passed, his vision became clear and he saw the source of light that blinded him a while ago. It was something like an enormous bulb right above his face. He didn't know what it was. Then faces covered in white masks came into his view. 

Who the hell were they?

"How are you feeling now?" One of them, a man, asked him. 

His lips wobbled trying to make out words to say but all in waste. His eyebrows furrowed deeply as he felt something in his nose and his hand weakly raised, just for him to see strange wires connected to it.