The Deadly Truth

Harry struggled, the ropes digging into his wrists and ankles. His knees felt numb from kneeling on the stone flagstones, which belonged to the ruins of the great hall.

A spell trickled over him, sinking into his throat, like honey.

The great hall was quiet, the wind whispering between battle robes.

Harry glared at Voldemort, who lifted his chin up with his cold, pale and long fingers.

"So. It comes to this." Voldemort paused. "Tell me your deepest secret."

Harry stared at him, his mind screaming in terror, while his heart broke. No. This was supposed to stay a secret! It was meant to be his burden.

No one else's.

"M...my s-s-soul..." Harry fruitlessly gritted his teeth, trying to stop the words from passing his lips. "I... I h-have a.... s-sou-ul..."

He bit his tongue, blood welling.

His vision hazed with tears, and he gave in, his head hanging. "My soulmate is Tom Marvolo Riddle."

Voldemort flinched as though he had been struck.

"Why?" Harry asked, tears dripping down his face. "You could have been anything! Minister - you - you didn't have to become this!" The last part came out in strangled voice.

Harry's hands curled into fists, as he shoulders shook, staring at the flagstones.

He had found out a long time ago, and had stuffed it in the dark deep recesses of his mind, refusing to think about it.

"Harry." Voldemort said softly. "Look at me."

Harry raised his head, and stared at him.

"Finite."

Harry's eyes widened, and he choked on a gasp.

The ropes binding him had suddenly disappeared, and Harry scrambled up, grabbing the lapels of Voldemort's robes and hiding his face in the elder's shoulder, as he cried his heart out.

Harry inhaled Voldemort's - no Tom's scent, marvelling at the soft curls of hair that brushed his forehead and cheeks.

Tom's arms wound around him, one supporting Harry's head. "I'm sorry." He said, trembling with grief. "I'm sorry..."

"I forgive you." Harry said, feeling a hole in his heart healing.

"I don't deserve you." Tom murmured. "I'm a horrible person."

Harry pulled back, just enough so he could see Tom's face. "It must have torn you apart..." He whispered. "I'm sorry I didn't come earlier."

Tom let out a watery laugh. "I should have held on. I was always so afraid. That I would miss something.... I didn't know it was you."

"It's over." Harry murmured. "I won't leave."

Tom's eyes widened, before they softened, and he raised Harry's head up, meeting his lips.

Harry sighed into it, tilting his head to the side as his eyes slid shut.

"Come to Egypt with me?" Tom asked softly, pulling away.

"Okay."

And they were gone.

No one saw them again, and the wizarding world righted itself, actually making some decent changes.

Well... when I say no one, there is one exception.

Delphini Riddle eventually found her father, and was rather shocked to find him entangled with another man. (Thankfully, they were fully clothed.)

"You left her to fend for herself! The poor child!" Harry threw a pillow at his lover. "Your sleeping on the couch till Thursday!"

"Harry, Love - "

"No, Tom!" Harry snapped, before turning and smiling at his step-daughter. "I've always wanted children."

Tears prickled in Delphini's eyes, as she was welcomed home.