Wattpad Original
There are 28 more free parts

Four

I didn't leave Casimir's cabin for two weeks after the Red Moon last year.

When I did, eyes followed my every movement, darting in the other direction when I noticed. I knew what they were thinking, what each of them wanted to ask: how are you still alive?

There's peace in Elel between shifters and humans, the treaty protects us. But that doesn't mean there isn't foul play. The shifters take what they want when they want; they don't care about the treaty, they abide by it when it suits them.

Wander too close to the mountains? Murdered.

Disrespect the shifters and get reported? Punishment.

Found fraternising with the deserters? Made an example of public execution style.

I should've been collateral damage like my father. Jakob actually said that to me once, and I know they all think the same—how did I manage to stay alive?

I haven't told anyone what happened that night. Only Casimir. They don't know that the only reason I'm alive is because I hid in that cupboard while they mauled my father's body, petrified that if I breathed too hard, they'd come for me next.

I thought the day I finally stepped outside Casimir's cabin would be the most attention I'd ever receive. I was wrong. It feels like nothing's changed in the past year as I rush to school. Gazes follow me, darting away when I notice, or putting on strained, polite smiles as they anxiously reinforce their cabins.

Everyone is jittery so close to the Red Moon. Even more so after last year. So, when I get to school and all eyes land on me, I'm not surprised. I pretend I don't notice, sinking into the seat next to Cadence.

"On time," she notes, smiling. Her eyes are drawn over my shoulder, and I feel a brief reprieve from all the stares.

Killian wanders through the door, taking a seat at the back. He draws all the attention in the room away from me. I can't help but stare, too, watching as his eyes flit towards the front, once again unbothered by all the stares. I imagine when you look like he does you'd get pretty used to being the centre of attention.

His eyes drift around the room before coming our way. When they meet mine, I immediately avert my gaze back to the front, face growing warm. Gawking at him like everyone else is bad enough, getting caught is even worse.

I shove Killian from my mind as Professor Finn drones on. The forge fills it instead, last nights events fresh on top. The memory still sends shudders down my spine. I'm not sure what's more unsettling—the fact that I came so close to the deserters or that I came so close to death.

Casimir had a right to be angry, I understand that. But our disagreement weighs heavily on my mind. What's worse is that the guilt I feel from deceiving him is still overpowered by my determination to find another way to Samu, whatever that entails. If the deserters won't let me join them, I have to find another way.

An elbow nudges me in the side. I blink at Cadence. "I said," she repeats, leaning closer. "How are you?"

"Good."

"Really? You look exhausted."

I turn and stare into her wide blue eyes. Part of me wants to confide in her about my fight with Casimir, but that would require an explanation of what the fight was about. And if Cadence knew I had been to the forge and why, I don't know if she'd be able to keep herself from telling others. Even though going to the forge isn't technically forbidden, my motives would be questioned. The last thing I need is for the council to catch word of it.

So I force a smile. "I'm just tired. I didn't sleep very well last night."

"It's coming up to one year, isn't it?" She puts her hand on mine. "I'm sorry, Frey."