Two

Season One,Atlanta Camp

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

It was later that night,the group all gathered around a campfire.
Jessica sat on the ground,her head resting against her fathers knees as he ran his fingers through her hair slowly, something Lori and Rick often did to comfort their daughter.
Carl was sat above his sister,on a log. Cuddled between his parents.

"Mom said you died" Carl suddenly spoke.
Rick smiled softly before nodding,"she had every reason to believe that. Don't you ever doubt it."
"When things started to get really bad, they told me at the hospital they were gonna medevac you and the other patients to Atlanta and it never happened." Lori defended herself as she leaned her head on her husbands shoulder.
"Well I'm not surprised after Atlanta fell."

Jessica began to doze off, feeling content.
In that moment everything was okay.
She just hoped this feeling would last forever.

"Someone's tired" Rick chuckled as he poked Jessica slightly.
The girl mumbled in response as Carl yawned.
"Come on, let's get these two to bed" Lori smiled before helping her tired daughter to her feet.
Rick carried Carl and the family disappeared into their small tent.

Jessica collapsed into the small makeshift bed she shared with Carl as Rick carefully tucked the two in.
"I found you, didn't I?" Rick smiled lovingly at the two before placing a quick kiss to their temples.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Jessica found herself caught up in a game of hide and seek with Carl and Sophia in a small clearing in the forestry.
Now that the world had ended,there wasn't many ways for the teenager to entertain herself so she often played with the younger kids to keep busy.
It was her turn to count,covering her eyes as she did she could hear the childish giggles of Carl and Sophia as they hid.
"8....9..." the girl called out, hearing movement behind her she scoffed,"you're supposed to hide-"
A scream escaped her mouth as she was shoved to the ground,a Walker snapping its jaws as it latched onto the girls ankle.

Carl and Sophia screamed,jumping out from their hiding spots to find a walker,inches away from the girl.
"Mom!" Carl yelled loudly,"Dad! Help!"
Jessica reached for a blunt stick,shoving the walkers head away from her as she continued to screech for help.
This was the end she thought as tears began to cascade down her cheeks.
She shook her foot vigorously,trying to free herself from the Walker but her attempt seemed to be no use.

When the adults reach the clearing,they waste no time in battering the walkers head until it stills.
Jessica continues to shake from underneath the corpse,fear had taken over her body.
"Jessica!" Lori gasps as she rushes to her daughter,scanning the young girl for a bite or scratch.
Relief washes over the group as they realise she's okay.
"Your okay?" Rick questions in concern as Jessica nods,not trusting her words at the moment.

The group look behind the teen to spot the carcass of a deer, evidently the Walker had been eating away at it before spotting Jessica.
Sophia rushes to her mother whilst Carl hurries to his mother and trembling sister.

"That's the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain." Dale frowns.
"Well their running out of food in the city thats what" Jim adds.

Jessica flinches as a twig snaps from behind a bush,Lori quickly pulls her children behind her before Daryl Dixon reveals himself to the group.
"Son of a bitch! That's my deer,look at it all gnawed on by this..filthy,disease-bearing,motherless,poxy bastard!"

No one in the group dares to speak, realising Daryl still doesn't know about his brother Merle, being chained to a rooftop in the Walker infested city.
"I've been tracking this deer for miles,gonna take it back to camp cook us up some venison. What do you think? Do you think I can cut around this chewed up part right here?" The angry man continues and he kicks the carcass.
"I would not risk that" Shane grimaces.

Daryl sighs,"that's a damn shame. I got us some squirrels, about a dozen or so that'll have to do."

When the group got back to the camp base Jessica stalked off to her tent, still shaken from her encounter with the walker and also not wanting to hear the group break the news about Merle to Daryl.
She couldn't help but feel sorry for the man, Merle wasn't particularly a kind person and he didn't do much for the camp but he was all Daryl had left.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

"You went through hell to find us. You just got here and you're gonna turn around and leave?" Jessica heard her mother's voice.
Frowning, Jessica clambered out of the tent accompanied by Carl who had followed her after returning to the camp.
"Dad I don't want you to go" Carl whimpered, quickly realising what was happening as Rick loaded up one of the cars.
"You can't leave us again..you promised!" Jessica quickly joined in her families pleas toward her father.
Sure she was being immature but she had just got her father back, she couldn't lose him again. She wouldn't.

Rick smiled softly at his two children before stooping down to Carl's level and taking one of Jessi's hands in his own.
"Okay?"
Carl nods as tears spring to the young boys eyes.
"I can come with you.." Jessica tries,not ready to say another goodbye just yet.
Rick shakes his head sadly,"it's too dangerous Jess,I'll be okay I promise. You just take care of your brother and momma for me alright?"
Jessica sighs before heading back to the tent once again, wanting to be alone for a while.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Jessica barely said goodbye to her father,she knew she'd possibly regret it but she didn't want to say goodbye, she just couldn't.

After Rick's departure, Lori made her way to the tent to comfort her children, knowing they would take this hard.
"Hey you know, I bet they'll be just fine" she tries.
"I'm not worried" Carl states as the woman frowns at her youngest in surprise.
"Are you?" The young boy questions his mother and sister.
"Yeah a little" Lori admits after a moments silence.
Jessica simply shrugs.
"Don't be" Carl turns to the two in confidence.
"Why?" Jess stares at her little brother, how could he not feel worry? They had already lost their father once,to lose him a second time would cause a mountain of grief.
"Think about it. Everything that's happened to him so far..nothings killed him yet" Carl grins proudly.
Lori chuckles as she ruffles Carl's hair, realising he's right.
"Your wise for your age little man" Jessica finally speaks, her brothers words bringing more comfort than he could've realised.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Authors Note; filler chapter sorry it's boring I just wanted to show the Grimes family relationship a little bit!