Five

Season one, C.D.C

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Jessica felt that now familiar feeling of unease,creep it's way back into her gut and settle as they approached the CDC. Outside the building,dozens of dead bodies littered with flies buzzing around them.
The smell of rotten flesh was pungent,Jessica had to cover her mouth and nose to avoid gagging.
She felt she'd never get used to the smell of the dead.
The building looked deserted,goosebumps formed as Jess quickly realised this was just another loose end.
Shane sighs as he bangs on the door,also realising the place was long abandoned by any living.
"There's nobody here" T-dog voices.
"Then why are these shutters down?" Rick frowns,looking at the building for any signs of life.

"Walkers!" Daryl announces to the group as groans and growls quickly grow louder. Jessica's eyes widen as she turns to see all of the corpses reanimate and stumble closer to the group.
There's so many of them and the group are cornered,she couldn't see how they'd make it out of this. They were all going to die here,a slow agonising death.
"You led us into a graveyard!" Daryl shouts as he begins to fend off walkers with his crossbow,however with the amount moving towards the group it's hopeless.
"He made a call" Shane defends his friend,"it was the wrong damn call!" Daryl quips back quickly.
"Just shup up you hear? Shut up! Shut up!" Shane snaps,"Rick,this is a dead end."
Jessica shuffles closer to her mother and Carl as Sophia whimpers from next to Carol.
"Do you hear me?"
Jessica feels herself begin to shake uncontrollably.
"She's right. We can't be here this close to the city after dark" Lori attempts to convince her husband that there's nothing for them here yet Rick refused to listen as he continually bangs 0n the shutters.
"Fort Benning..still an option" Shane tries before Andrea butts in,"on what? No food, no fuel. That's a hundred miles."
"A hundred and twenty-five. I checked the map" Glenn adds.
The walkers creep closer as Jessica pulls her brother into her arms.

Rick sighs, ready to give in and leave until a slight movement from the security camera above the shutters catches his attention. "...the camera...it moved."
"You imagined it" Shane replies turning to move with the rest of the group however Rick stood still.
"Rick it's dead man. It's an automated device. It's gears okay? They're just winding down."
As Rick still makes no attempt to move Shane sighs again,"Man just listen to me," the Walsh tries."
"Look around this place. It's dead,okay? It's dead. You need to let it go Rick."
Rick ignores his friend,instead banging yet again on the shutters.
"Rick there's nobody here!" Lori shouts to her husband aware of the fact that they have less than two minutes to move before they all become Walker food.
Shane attempts to drag his friend away as Rick pleads with the camera,"please. We're desperate. Please help us! We have women,children,no food..we have hardly any gas left."
"Dad please,there's nothing here for us" Jess tries,grabbing at her fathers hand.
"If you don't let us in,your killing us!" Rick aggressively bangs and slaps at the door.
"Your killing us" the sheriff repeats over and over as the group glances between the man,the unmoving shutters and the nearing walkers with snapping jaws.

Rick sighs, ready to give in to his group and leave just as the doors open at last, drowning the group in light.
Jessica breathes a sigh of relief as the group quickly enter the building,the teen girl,narrowly missing a decomposed hand grab at her.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

The group quickly enter the building to be met by a man in a white coat,a scientist.
"Anybody infected?" He asks, looking at the group,his gaze lingering on each of them for an uncomfortable amount of time.
"One of our group was...he didn't make it."
"Why are you here? What do you want?" The scientist frowns,"a chance" Rick replies,hope paving his voice.
"That's asking an awful lost these days" The scientist replies skeptically.
"You all submit to a blood test,that's the price of admission,you got stuff to bring in you do it now. Once this door closes it stays closed."
"Vi seal the main entrance,kill the power up here."
Jessica can't help but look around the building. The CDC is somewhere the teen never pictured herself to be standing inside of.

The man leads the group down a corridor,"Rick Grimes" Rick introduces himself in an attempt to ease the awkward tension.
"Dr. Edwin Jenner" the scientist introduces himself in return.
"Are we underground?" Carol squeaks.
"Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner fires back a question to which the woman responds,"a little."
"Try not to think about it."
Jessica grabs her younger brothers hand and clasps it into her own clammy ones. Something about this place doesn't settle with her,the uneasy feeling is one she just can't seem to shake. She frowns as she looks at Jenner,not trusting the man one bit.

"Vi bring up the lights" Jenner calls out as the room the group enters is illuminated in artificial lighting,the kind of panel lighting a hospital would have.
"Where is everybody?" Rick questions as the group are met with a large,empty room.
"I'm it. It's just me here" Jenner replies with a shrug as all hope Jessica had felt about the CDC diminishes.
Jenner is the only scientist left here, there's no cure.
"What about the person you were just speaking with? Vi?" Lori frowns from next to her husband.
"Vi say hello to our guests" Jenner calls out yet again only for a computer to reply,"hello guests,welcome."
"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry." Jenner repeats.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Jessica is the last to get her blood sample taken. The girl had never liked needles but put on a brace face, slightly embarassed that Carl and Sophia could handle them better than her.
"What's the point? If we were infected we'd all be running a fever?" Andrea questions the scientist as he pushes the needle into Jessica's arm.
Jessica sucks in a breath of air as she feels the prick.
"I've already broken every rule in the book letting you be here. At least let me be thorough" Jenner replies before wiping the spot of blood the needles had left in Jessica's arm.
"All done."
Jessica stands from the chair but stumbles as her vision fades out,she's quickly caught by Lori who looks at her daughter in concern.
"Are you okay?" Jacqui asks the young girl who simply nods in reply,steadying herself.
"She hasn't eaten in days..none of us have" Lori explains to the doctor.