Chapter 3: Falling For You

Friday 3rd September 1977

The bench shakes as she carelessly flops down onto the wood, dropping the books and stack of parchments on the table as she does so.

A loud, exasperated sigh falls out her mouth as she lets her head fall back, thinking this is how a baby must feel when they can't support their head, except their reasoning is because of how small and weak they are, Nova's reasoning is just plain exhaustion.

"And what's got you so happy?" Misty says in a silvery voice, keeping her eyes down to the book she has in her hands.

Nova sits right again, bringing her head in a position she's able to see the girl in front. She sighs again as she crosses her arms, planting her elbows on the table. "It's been two days, and I'm already swamped with homework." She tells Misty, who's nodding absently as she speaks, "it's as if they use it as some form of punishment, like haha you're going to have to write essays and fill in tables all weekend instead of enjoying this short, short life we all have."

Misty has now looked up from her book, folding the corner before she closes it, bringing her full attention to Nova. "That's a grim way of thinking," she comments.

Nova shrugs, looking down at the options for her lunch, "It's a grim life."

And it's true, they are living in war times now and it's only going to get worse. This morning, there was more missing muggle-borns reported in The Daily Prophet. Nova isn't sure how she feels about it. She thinks about asking Misty her opinions on the Dark Lord or muggle-borns, but thinks better of it, scared she might lose a friend to a difference of opinions. Misty has never discussed her family with Nova, so she doesn't have any knowledge of Misty's background. She had thought about asking her if she is pure blood, or perhaps even muggle-born, but then thought better of it. If Misty wanted to discuss her family, she would.

"What you thinking?" Misty's voice snaps her out of her thoughts.

Nova shakes her head, "nothing important."

She reaches forward and decides upon soup today, filling her bowl up to the brim in an attempt to get as much energy as she possibly can for the amount of homework ahead.

And the day isn't even done yet.

(. . .)

Double potions, she thinks, it's doable.

Nova takes a seat nearer the back of the room, being one of the first to arrive at class. Soon, the class fills up of both Slytherin students and Gryffindors, the tension already thickening. Beside her, Nico Lorenzo ended up sitting next to her. He usually sits with her in Potions, being her partner for the full of last year and getting full marks on their projects together. So she's glad it's him again, but as he first sat down she had to make sure it was him Nico, and not his twin brother Isaac. The two are identical but can be told apart by the lack of freckles on Nico's face.

Professor Slughorn comes running in a few minutes late, mumbling an apology as he does so. Giggles are heard echoing through the classroom. He goes behind his desk and sits on his seat, only to squeal and jump back up instantly to his feet. The giggles turn into laughs.

"Excuse me," he gets the attention of the students, "whoever did this little prank," — Nova already has a few names in mind who would've done something as pathetic as this. Hexing a chair? Really?— "will be caught, I assure you. But, seeing as it is the first Potions class back, I can understand the need to annoy your Professor, so no punishment will be put in place if the person guilty admits to his or hers crime before the end of class." His voice is shaky, never having been one for great confidence in front of students.