Chapter 6: Stunning Charm

Friday 24th September

And her lips are on hers, their hands entangled together as their palms pressed against each other. Nova had hopped this would distract her, and god how it did just that.

She had been seeing James Potter everywhere she went since that night outside the Three Broomsticks, almost two weeks ago. Nova swears it was yesterday, but that might just be because his face and voice are in her dreams every time she allows her lids to close over.

He had looked at her today, and Nova couldn't comprehend what it was he was thinking. She couldn't deal with his honey eyes dripping into her, the sweetness too strong for her, so she looked away, cursing herself for even sparing a moment to look at him.

They hadn't spoken since that one night, and she was glad at that, but Nova can't deny the number of times she wishes he would say something to her. Because there were things she needed to say — to be sure that he believed the words she sold, and that he doesn't think good of her in any way. But the closest they got to speaking was the intense eye contact, and that only seemed to make the whole situation more nerve-racking.

She wondered if he told anyone if he mentioned he made Nova Dubois cry, if he spoke about his thoughts on her to his friends. She hoped he didn't, hell, she prays he didn't.

Regulus and she made up fairly quickly, it only took a few apologies and Nova coming up with an excuse that the workload was getting to her, but she knew that was complete rubbish. She had been finding the work not too bad, even having time on the side during a Friday afternoon to come back to the dorm and make out a little Misty.

She felt the grip on her hips and melted into her smaller hands.

She liked Misty, she really liked Misty. It was last summer the two began to. . . develop their friendship. They had met up to get school supplies from Diagon alley, that was the first they kissed, and the first Nova realised that she liked girls.

Nova hadn't given it much thought beforehand, her view on people's preferences were always you like who you like and it shouldn't matter all that much — but it did matter, it mattered a lot in the society she lived in.

She didn't tell anyone about this realisation, she didn't think it was necessary to inform people who she prefers in bed. If someone asked, she wouldn't lie about it, but no one had asked, therefore no one knew.

She and Misty weren't in a relationship-relationship, they were friends who happened to enjoy kissing one another. They had cleared the air between them long ago that this wasn't serious, and any deep feelings were non-existent for each other.

It was good like that, Nova didn't think she'd be very good in a relationship, all things considered.

Misty broke away, to Nova's disappointment, "don't you have class?" she spoke.

Nova shook her head, "free next, you?"

"Arithmancy." Misty leaned in after speaking, pecking her on the lips before standing back, creating space between the two girls.

Nova pouted in seeing Mistry place her books in her bag, knowing this snogging has come to an end. She often studied the way Misty carried herself and idolised it. Her skin was a beautiful bronze colour, completing her when the sun shone down on her. Nova is under the impression she grew up in Brazil but hasn't been there for a long while, Misty doesn't speak much about herself or her family so she can't be sure.

"Just skip it." Nova attempted to sound casual, not wanting to seem desperate — but she was, and she needed something to distract herself with.

Misty shook her head, swinging the strap over her shoulder, "Can't. I'm falling way behind."