Chapter 5: Full Moon

Saturday 4th September

The picture is still but that isn't because it is a muggle photograph, it is because the family in the picture are not moving an inch out of pure terror, Nova wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even breathing. She is convinced that a muggle could look at this photo and be sure it was normal. That it wasn't tainted with magic and hatred.

Well, maybe not hatred, anyone can see how little happiness lives in this photo. You'd be blind to not recognise it; the straight lips, the numb eyes, the clenched stomachs, the hunched shoulders.

A part of her wishes that Regulus too ran away from that house. And all she is basing this opinion on is a picture. What must it be like living there?

Sirius was taller than Regulus when this was taken, but now the younger brother had stretched quite a bit yet he is still slimmer than Sirius.

Sirius had his hand gripping Regulus' shoulder, and it didn't look like he had been told to put it there to make the photo look more proper. But it looked like he was holding on for dear life; keeping him close; protecting him. Where did that go?

What was it like to lose a brother? She had wanted to ask Regulus this many times, but he shuts off when Sirius is mentioned. He looks away when Sirius is near and pretends to not listen to his boisterous laugh through the hallways. He has closed his brother off and no longer spares him a glance. It is expected, though, considering how Sirius abandoned Regulus. It was his fault.

Nova drew her attention towards the others in the family, Walburga and Orion were behind their two sons in the photo. They aren't smiling or even remotely close to it, their hands folded in front of them instead of showing any form of affection. But that's quite normal for a family, at least it is for Nova's parents, hugs and kisses are for sensitive and sappy people. And Nova is anything but.

Nova placed the photo back down on Regulus' bedside table and looked over to Barty, who was still in bed with the covers wrapped around him. It was only them in the room as Evan is who knows where — Nova didn't care enough to ask of his whereabouts.

Barty's snores echoed throughout the room as Nova closed her eyes, but whenever she wasn't distracting herself with her sight, that was when her mind decided to haunt her of the events last night. His ruthless, cold voice. His truthful words. His clenched fists. His eyes that wound never look away.

"You are pathetic."

Nova's eyes scrunched together, she didn't even feel like crying anymore, her tears had been drained from last night as she wept listening to the sound of her heavy breaths and the patter of the rain, replaying the events over nonstop and staying there till late. She wasn't in her bed until close to 4, and she is feeling the effects of it.

It was then Regulus opened the door to his dorm, Nova never being more thankful to see his face to rid her mind of the one she saw last night.

"What you doing here?" Regulus asked, his eyes darting around the room.

Nova didn't know why he sounded so defensive, Nova is usually welcome to come into his room whenever. She shrugged, "bored. Thought we could study or something."

Regulus seemed to decide his answer for a while. He was off like something had him on the edge and Nova had no clue what. Eventually, he nodded and went underneath his bed to fetch his books.

Nova kicked her feet off his bed, her feet now on the floor next to Regulus as he kneeled on the carpet.

She cocked her head at him, "you alright, Reg? You seem off."