Chapter 3 - Initial Difficulties

OH MY GOD! Yes I'm still working on this. My computer just deleted the drafts which were already done so I've been crying over it for a month before I was able to write it again. 

This is a filling chapter... But hey I'm currently in quarantine because I have covid and after that I don't have to work for another week so I'll have time to write! (To everyone who's concerned: I'm... okay. I just got my sense of smell/taste back and I feel more depression than covid symptoms xD)

Anyways. Have fun.

Janis

Janis was rather off balance when she set foot onto the little wooden boat, almost falling into the lake which was separating them from the castle.

It was cold, her jacket definitely too thin for the Scottish highlands at night. The sky was dark and millions of stars were building a sea of lights above them, glimmering onto the surface of the deep water.

Hagrid escorted them all on their boats before setting them off, waving one last time at them, wishing them a wonderful year at Hogwarts.

Teeth showing grins from teens appear, looking as if it was Christmas morning, holding onto each other, shaking in excitement. Yet it was oddly quiet for the first day.

The calming sound of the wave pool tides, following behind the boat were calming Janis nerves the tiniest bit as she was thinking about the rather interesting ride to Hogwarts. Her gaze was flicking back and forth between the different boats as she was searching for familiar faces. Or much rather a familiar face.

Something about the new girl fascinated her. It wasn't just her gorgeous looks. The thick mane of auburn hair, the big blue puppy eyes, the bright smile that always reached them, making her eyes sparkle in a weird way. It was because of her almost irritating amount of politeness, the way she spoke highly about the muggle world - if they ignored the cruelty of the people there - her amount of knowledge about math out of all things. The way Cady worked, was something Janis had never seen before. And yet she had the feeling that there was still a whole lot more to the small redhead.

"Earth to Janis?"

Janis jumped a little, her focus shifting from the water to her best friend in front of her. "Huh?"

"How's it going in gay land?" He had a smirk on his face, that smirk you wanna smack off of someone as soon as you notice it.

She scoffed "Excuse me what now?"

"Don't even try to start this shit."

"I just met her." She rolled her eyes as her grip tightened around the pole of the lantern between them. Damian had the talent to annoy her in a matter of seconds if her really wanted to. This was one of those moments. Of course he wouldn't stop teasing.

"As if that stopped you before"

"Don't you dare." Janis glared at him, her hand suddenly ready to pull out her wand to strike a curse at him.

"I'm just saying. She's cute, she's your type AND she's definitely grown a tiny bit fond of you too."

"If you keep talking I will most certainly throw you into this lake and leave you there for the giant squid."

"So you do have a crush." he grinned, poking Janis side.

"STOP IT!"

He didn't stop. Infact Damian started to plan out their white wedding the whole way over the suddenly way too long lake, up the 98 stairs, through the heavy, wooden door of the castle, up the many moving staircases, into the Ravenclaw common room. Janis always loved to take the atmosphere in when she first enters Hogwarts. The warm lights of the torches, The happy welcoming faces of the paintings, but this time it was truly impossible. Damian was constantly distracting her.