Prologue

Every bone in Milena's bone ached as she walked home. Her arms had newly formed bruises on them, and there was a large bruise on her cheekbone from being backhanded. A trail of blood could be seen coming down her leg from under her dress.

Milena wanted nothing more than to cry in the arms of her love as she held her baby boy and rocked him to sleep singing a sweet lullaby.

But she couldn't do that. Her husband was awfully protective, and if Milena's assailant was any normal person, he would be behind bars before morning came. Unfortunately, the sick man who had dared to lay a hand on the young mother was a man in power who couldn't be touched by the law. Milena was helpless.

And it certainly didn't help that Milena had once called this man her friend. She had trusted him.

It had rained that January day, and Milena was soaked to the bone. Milena stopped in front of a puddle, a streetlight illuminating her reflection. Choked sobs left her lips as she saw the state of her brand-new floral dress. Her husband had bought them for her first day of school after taking over almost two years off following the birth of their son. He had been so proud of her, doing so much as creating an impromptu photoshoot for her.

He was a man of big gestures, a true romantic. He had grown up seeing how his older brothers and father treated women with respect, and he had vowed to follow their example. Now at the age of eighteen, Theodore Russo was proud to say that he had surpassed them.

Every person would be lucky to have someone who loved them as much as Theodore Russo loved his wife. The look in his eyes when he laid them on Milena or the way he would fawn over her was enough proof of how much he loved her.

As Milena continued walking through the empty roads, tripping over her untied shoelaces, she dreaded yet yearned for the moment when she was safe at home. She let out a breath when she spotted the road sign that read Merrick Drive.

Just five more minutes. Five more minutes until I can fall asleep in Teddy's arms.

Milena picked up the pace as she reached her apartment complex. It was the middle of the night, and the building was empty other than the lone woman at the front desk who had fallen asleep on the job. Milena counted her blessings that the woman hadn't seen the state of her tattered dress or the injuries that covered her body. She didn't have the energy to answer questions that would force her to remember the horror she had just experienced.

Milena reached the elevators and pressed the button for the 52nd floor where their penthouse apartment was. It had been a gift from Theodore's father, Antonio, upon the birth of their son, Simon. At the time, the couple didn't have enough to care for a child. They loved their unborn child and each other deeply, but love doesn't provide a home or money to raise a child.

Milena's ears popped as the elevator climbed up to the 52nd floor. She dragged her feet down the hallway to the last door. 5204.

Milena's fingers fumbled through her muddied purse for the keys, but before she could, the door to the apartment opened to reveal Theodore Russo. He stood at the doorway with his mouth open and worry encasing his features.

He was horrified.

Theodore reached for his wife's hand with caution, and when she allowed it, he pulled her into his arms, squeezing her tight. His breath fanned her ear in shaky gasps, and tears blurred his vision. He was determined to make whoever did this pay.

"Darling, who did this to you?"

Theodore's tone was gentle, not wanting to frighten Milena any more than she already was. Milena shook her head as she murmured, "Teddy, please. I don't want to talk about this. Let it go."