chapter 6: closer.

From the moment they announced that the last training session had been cancelled, Nola knew that Katniss Everdeen had certainly had something to do with it. Nola was more than satisfied with her 11, but as she waited for the final scores, something inside her flared with curiosity —and perhaps a spark of anger, why lie— when she saw that both the girl's and her partner's faces showed a big 12. Next to her, Brutus had emitted a guttural sound of rage and fury, then loudly expressing how those two whippersnappers had scored higher than them, but Nola remained silent, squinting at the impassive gesture on the girl's picture of the 12.

Katniss Everdeen was only seventeen, and while Nola could admit that underneath that facet of a fragile teenager who had only tried to protect her sister there could be a smart and rebellious girl, she also failed to see anything special that would win the judges over enough to award her a 12. Therefore, Nola's mind wandered to the only explanation that seemed logical to her: she would have done anything stupid, driving the judges crazy, and therefore they had decided to give her the highest score so that the rest of the Victors would see her as a threat and therefore get rid of her as soon as possible. Yes, that must have been it.

Because in Nola's head —and, specifically, in her ego— there was nothing to indicate that Katniss had more skills than she did enough to get a higher score.

So she spent that day deeply bored, because she knew she wasn't allowed to leave the facility unless someone from the Capitol gave her permission, and she also knew she shouldn't risk it and run away, because drawing attention to herself would only bring more enemies upon her —and she well knew she didn't need them. Brutus left for the end of the hall, where his room was, and didn't leave until it was time for lunch, and then he didn't make his presence known again until Enobaria knocked on his door to announce that it was time for dinner.

It was around midnight when she and Enobaria received an unusual visitor. They were on the couch, Nola sprawled in a strange way, as they watched with little attention the documentaries that the Capitol was dedicated to put on late-night television, often about the Victors' Tours of previous tributes. This time it was of tributes who were participating in these Games, but luckily Nola didn't care too much about a certain Chaff to be interested in what his tour was like once he won the Games —it almost seemed to be in black and white, Nola once remarked.

Haymitch appeared in the elevator on her floor, surprising both tribute and mentor, who did not expect any kind of visit, much less from District 12. But Nola knew that among the Victors there was some kind of relationship, some implicit unwritten rule that made them understand each other and treat each other with respect and politeness. Likewise Nola was surprised that Enobaria didn't direct a contemptuous look at the man, or any words out of tone. So she watched from the sofa with more attention.

—I was just coming to let you know that Katniss rejects the alliance with Brutus. With the suspension of training I couldn't tell you before. I figured you would know, but it seems to me that we all should have been aware before the Games started— Haymitch said, but his gaze strayed to Nola, who was watching the scene lying on the couch, her chin resting on her hands and her feet up, swaying, as if she was having a good time.

—Oh, how is that possible? No one expected that they could refuse to ally themselves with Brutus, an insignificant and helpless being compared to them— Nola commented ironically, still rocking on the couch and with an amused smile on her lips—. You should tell your kids to control themselves next time at their demonstration, I've been too bored today. Because it's no coincidence that they both got a 12, is it?

—You're not going to get any information out of me, Nola— Haymitch crooned, in anything but a friendly tone—. You could always try Katniss again, couldn't you? I hear the terraces are still open.