chapter 19: what is love?

The facilities in District 13 were impressive, but to Nola's eyes they were not far from what lay beneath the great mountain of District 2. She was aware that she must have been surprised, pleasantly impressed by everything they showed her: dormitories piling up underground, the ability to produce food even with so little light, electricity and oxygen down there, the ease of predicting the time of day, and the fact that they managed to put huge televisions in every room to keep them informed at all times of what was happening outside, miles away, or perhaps closer than they expected.

On leaving the infirmary wing of the District buried underground, Nola discovered that there was not just a floor or two, but that the basements stretched to infinite floors —she had peeked over the railing at one of the meetings Coin had sent up, and the feeling of vertigo had shaken her insides. What also seemed infinite was Coin's insistence on seeing her on her feet, eager to fight, her head sane and completely lucid, as if it was entirely necessary for Nola to regain her old self in order for Coin to carry out her mission: to end Snow and the Hunger Games.

Nola had looked at Finnick the first of the time, dimly aware that she shouldn't give her too much hope—. Nola is still recovering —Finnick assured her with his typical charming smile. It was the first thing she saw many of the mornings, when the blonde woke up somewhat confused in her new room, shared with hundreds, thousands of people she didn't know, but it seemed a little more comforting with Annie and Finnick sleeping just a bunk bed apart—. She just needs a little time to get back to the way she was.

In those moments, Coin was nodding, her long silver-gray hair barely moving, because down there the air didn't even reach, and she was looking at her too with a twinkle in her eye that left Nola a bit confused.

—I don't like this —she heard herself say on some of those occasions.

—What? The mashed potatoes? Well, it's not a delicacy, but if you're lucky they salt it.

—No, that's not what I mean, although you're right. I mean that woman. It's like she expects something from me every time she sees me. Or like she knows me. Did she know me before?

Finnick shrugged, but shook his head afterwards—. No, I don't think so. None of us knew Coin before the Quarter Quell, after District 12 was completely destroyed. The rebels took refuge here, in the 13, where they had been hiding for who knows how long exactly. She was already here too, I guess waiting for the right moment to carry out her plans. It seems practically impossible to me that she knew you at all, Nola. She probably has a vested interest in your recovery because we all know what you've been like. The Capitol loves you, and getting you out of here would be almost equivalent to getting Katniss out: putting all the cameras on you and letting them know you're a rebel... —Finnick smiled an enigmatic but beautiful smile—, maybe it could turn even the most loyal to Snow into a supporter of the rebellion.

—If you say so —Nola put her fork to her mouth, trying to find the deliciousness in it, but to no avail—. Where's Annie?

—She had therapy before lunch. She's about to finish. I asked her to stop by and see Johanna before she came to the cafeteria, because even Johanna wouldn't dare tell Annie to get out.

—Very clever. What about Peeta, do you think he'll ever be able to sit here with us?

The boy sent her a thoughtful look—. It'll take a little more time with Peeta. In the Capitol they thought, and they weren't wrong, that Peeta was the most important piece to hurt Katniss. The attacks, the torture, the poison they used on him is almost infallible, Nola. Luckily they didn't count on you. That's the only good thing we can take from the fact that they chose Katniss as their target. But don't worry —Finnick added jovially, seeing Nola's defeated expression—, Peeta will be fine. In fact —he said, glancing at the watch on his wrist—, I think we can sneak away for a little while to go see him. Would you like that?