Chapter 4 - The Green Dress

Edith clutched her handbag as she rode in the motor back to Downton. The memory of Thomas suddenly running after the man who snatched her purse, and then pummeling him to the ground, played in her mind over and over again. She had to admit, him doing that was rather... irresistibly attractive.

She stared out the window as the scenery passed her, as well as a few homes that had cattle and sheep fenced in. Since when had she thought Thomas attractive? Admittedly, he was a handsome man, and she thought so since he first entered Downton Abbey when she was ten. He was about twenty then. He never made her heart pound and cheeks enflame more than now, though. Ever since he caught her at the top of the stairs the other day, and she gazed into those blue eyes, and felt his strong arms around her, she couldn't help but let herself be affected.

Why hadn't she noticed him in such a way before?

He was the type of man that she would go after—tall, dark and handsome. Of course, he wouldn't think that way about her. He was about a decade her senior, and he worked for her family and was practically her family. She shouldn't be attracted to him and pine after him like she pined over Patrick Crawley and Sir Anthony Strallan. Both ended in disaster—one with death on the Titanic, and the other literally leaving her at the alter.

Then what was she doing, going off to London just so she could find Thomas? She was truly out of her mind, and desperate. But yet, she always seemed desperate.

"We have arrived, M'Lady."

Edith snapped back to attention and saw that she and her driver had indeed arrived back at Downton. Alfred let the door open for her, and she was inwardly disappointed. When would Thomas return? Was he even home?

She entered the house and walked up to her room. After shutting the door, she went and sat on her bed, staring off at the cream-colored wall in a daze. Was she really falling in love with Thomas? She never would have imagined it! A footman!

"Just get your mind off of it and get ready for dinner," she ordered herself. She started a bath, and after, changed into a scarlet-colored evening dress. She rang her bell, and a few minutes later, her lady's maid came in and helped her with her hair.

"Actually, maybe I will wear a different dress," Edith said to the young blonde maid who was not much older than her, and who finished her hair. She turned around to face the young woman. "Charlotte, what dress do you think would capture a man's attention? Would the dress I have on be suitable, or would something of a darker color be more appropriate?"

The maid looked her up and down for a moment, then said, "I think the one that you have on is plenty attractive, M'Lady."

"But I mean one that would make a man swoon and faint at the sight of me." She stood up and went to her wardrobe and opened the doors. She went through her outfits and pulled out a shimmering navy blue evening dress. She held it up to her body. "What about this one? Is it suitable for catching a man's eye?"

Charlotte eyed the dress for a moment, then said, "I think that any dress you wear, M'Lady, would be beautiful. Any man would be a fool to not think you attractive in anything that you wear."

Is she being honest, or is she just trying to please me because I am her employer's daughter? "Do you think so?"

"Yes, M'Lady."

Edith thought a moment and went over to the full-body mirror. She had worn this dress around Thomas before, and he had no reaction. She racked her brain. When had she felt the most beautiful? She went back to her wardrobe, put the navy blue dress back, then went through her outfits again. She pulled out the silk green dress that she wore to that dinner the other night. The family they dined with complemented her on the dress, which made Mary furiously jealous. She went and held it up to her body in the mirror.