Chapter 15 - A Bit of Gossip

I did something a little different for this chapter... I switched to Lady Cora Grantham's point of view. Honestly, it was the only way I could pull this chapter off, other than having Edith or Thomas overhearing a conversation. While that would be convenient, it wouldn't go along with the story flow, and it wouldn't make much sense to have them near Lady Grantham's room. Enjoy!

~ ~ ~

When will Matthew and Mary decide to have children? There needs to be an heir.

Will Sybil have her baby early or on time? We better prepare the nursery just in case. But must we put in blue or pink blankets?

Edith did so well with her first two articles... will she write another one? She may work for the press very soon.

Such thoughts ran through Lady Grantham's mind as she lay in bed before the sun came up. She was always awake before the sun, which was a bit bothersome since she usually fell asleep late every night, worrying about her girls, her husband, the estate, her own family in America...

She sat up and squinted at the clock over on the fireplace mantle. It was about 5:45. The servants would be up in about fifteen minutes. She usually rang her bell at seven. What would she do until then? Maybe get some more sleep. She lay back down and shut her eyes, but images of every member of her family ran through her mind, among other things, and she wasn't able to rest. Nonetheless, she stayed in bed until well after the sun came up.

She turned her head a little and focused her eyes on the clock again. It was about five to seven. The servants would be ready by now. She only had Mrs. O'Brien bring up her breakfast, so really, only she needed to be ready. Lady Grantham leaned over to the rope next to her bed and pulled it. Mrs. O'Brien should be in her room in about five minutes. She loved how the servants were fast and efficient. They were all such lovely people. Well, Thomas could do with a little mood change, and Mrs. O'Brien could do without her running mouth, but both did their work well.

Right on the tick at seven, Mrs. O'Brien came in with a tray with assorted dishes and a delicious aroma of breakfast pudding, toast, and sausage. There was also a small jar of homemade strawberry jam that Mrs. Patmore had made. Lady Grantham hoped that Mrs. Patmore always stayed with them—she was the finest cook that she ever had in her life.

"Good morning, M'Lady."

"Good morning, O'Brien."

The woman set the stand-up tray over Lady Grantham's lap, and Lady Grantham inhaled the breakfast's aroma. It made her stomach rumble. She turned to her lady's maid. "Thank you again. I trust that you and the other servants are doing well?"

"Very well, M'Lady."

"That is good to hear. Well, you may go now to attend to your other duties."

The woman stayed standing where she was next to Lady Grantham's bed, her hands balled together in front of her, with her mouth looking like it wanted to say something. Lady Grantham cocked her head. "Is there something you want to say, O'Brien?"

"Well, I'm sure it's nothin' M'Lady."

Here it goes. This was the usual beginning to when O'Brien had some news to tell. She might as well humor the woman. "What is it this time, O'Brien?"

"Like I said, I'm sure it's nothin'. I was just wonderin' if you have noticed a change in Lady Edith lately."

"Edith?" Lady Grantham questioned. "I haven't seen a change in her as far as I know. Maybe she is a bit happier since her article was published three weeks ago. Why?"

"All I'm sayin' is... she may be happier for a different reason, M'Lady."

She didn't know where O'Brien was going with this. "What do you mean?"