Chapter 16 - In Trouble!

"Thomas, you are needed in the library."

Thomas glanced up at Mr. Carson as he entered the servant's dining room as about a dozen servants ate their lunch. "Oh? Is the family having an after-luncheon tea party that I wasn't aware about?"

"No... I'm afraid that this is something of a far more serious nature."

Thomas saw the look in the older butler's eyes. His pulse started to rise in alarm. "Alright. I will go straight up."

He left his bowl of stew, not really hungry for it anymore, and made his way up to the library. Before opening the door, he took a breath of courage, ready to face what waited for him in there. Maybe he was afraid about nothing. Maybe His Lordship needed his assistance with a matter he couldn't accomplish on his own. He entered the library but stopped instantly when he saw Edith standing there next to a very unhappy-looking Lord Grantham. Edith gave him an apologetic look.

Oh, no...

"Thomas, come in."

He did as he was told and walked more into the room, and the closer he got, the easier he was able to see the tears ready to fall out of Edith's eyes. His hands started to numb up at the rate his pulse went, and as the reality came crashing down on him... Lord Grantham knew about him and Edith.

"I have found out some rather shocking information concerning the two of you," Lord Grantham said, "and I have to say, I couldn't believe it at first, but now that Edith has told me the whole story, it is difficult not to believe it."

"Pappa," Edith began, but Lord Grantham rose a hand that halted her speaking. "Thomas, I have to say... out of all the things that you have done to taint your image, I believe that this is by far the worst."

Thomas's chest pinched harder than it had before, and he wanted to speak his mind to his boss. Edith said instead, "Pappa, don't blame him, alright? I told you! I was the one who flung myself at him! It's not his fault! He pushed me away, at least romantically, for the longest time before we..."

"But you two still got together!" he cut her off. "I can't believe... after Sybil and Tom, I thought we were through with this!" He turned to Thomas. "I really have a mind to sack you right now, Thomas."

"No, don't!" Edith pleaded. "Please, Pappa."

"I will not have another one of my daughters involved with a servant. That is final."

Edith's eyes filled with tears, and they fell. Thomas's hand balled into fists as he tried to keep his composure. "M'Lord, I apologize that this upsets you greatly, but I will not apologize for falling in love with Edith. She honestly has been the best thing that has ever happened to me, apart from working here. I have been the happiest I have been in my life because of her."

Edith's eyes widened, and a hint of a smile crossed her lips. "Thomas..."

"It's the truth," Thomas said. "If you wish to sack me, then go ahead. That will not stop me from loving your daughter."

Edith's mouth dropped open, and she looked at her father for a reaction to Thomas's serious words. He realized that Edith was more important than his job. He realized that the moment he confessed to her.

"You are far out of place, Thomas," Lord Grantham said sternly. "I expected better of you. I thought better of you until now. Go. You are leaving first thing tomorrow."

"Pappa!" Edith exclaimed, and Thomas sent a mean look to his employer and left the room. As he left, he heard Edith shouting at her father, but knowing Lord Grantham, he wasn't going to budge. Thomas's chest constricted to a painful degree, and he had to hold back tears. Two decades working at Downton... was over.