Chapter 2

I locked the door and sat down on the bed. Thank God he did not come after me and started knocking. It was quiet. I can finally have some peaceful sleep now, i thought. I laid down on the bed and looked at the ceiling.

What is with him? What does he think of himself? Its not like i was a bad muslim. I prayed whenever i had time. But it wasnt like i had all the time in the world to pray 5 times a day. I was a working woman. I had worked hard days and nights continuously to earn the position that i was in right now in my company. My time was precious to me. Why didnt he understand?

I looked at the dangling silver bracelet on my wrist. It had tiny diamonds studded on it. It was so pretty. There was a rectangular thin band and the words "will you be my Fatima?" were engraved on them. He had told me that he had recently heard the story of Hazrat Ali and Hazrat Fatima-the daughter of prophet Muhammad (saw), how they got married, their love for each other and how they were going to be together in jannah as well. He had proposed to me that day after giving me this bracelet and had asked me if i would be his Fatima and love him for eternity. There was a small infinity sign on the opposite side of the bracelet.

I rotated the bracelet with my other hand and touched the sign, so many memories came flooding to me.

I had fallen in love with him instantly. He was new in our class in the university. He had taken a seat next to me. He looked so charming that first time when i saw him. He wore a white shirt. He was leaning back on the chair calmly, his legs crossed and was playing with his car keys in his hands when i had said hello to him. We had immediately become friends. After that, we were always together. I loved him so deeply and the day he asked me out, i had said yes. I was so happy then. He made me so happy whatever he did.

I remember the day when i was sitting in the corridor outside the class waiting for my friend. I took out my phone to text her when a pair of hands covered my eyes.

"Good morning," he whispered in my ear and i smiled widely.

He came and sat next to me.

"Hey, what is this phone that you have?" He looked at with a slightly annoyed expression.

I laughed lightly "you know my dad gave it to me after college. I have been saving money for a new one."

He took out his iphone 5 and held it on his palm in front of me.

"This is yours now," he said taking my old and rotten phone from my hand "and this is mine now." He kept my phone in his pocket.

" and the money u have been saving, buy something else with it as a gift from me."

He smiled at me so lovingly. I melted in that smile of his. I had tried a lot to return his phone back to him but he just wouldnt listen.

I had been studying in the university on scholarship. I was from a middle class family. But i had worked really hard in the four years of my university. I had got an amazing job. I earned more than Ali. I had always dreamt big for myself and i had finally got it. No one had helped me. It was my hard work and concentration that had led me here. My dad had gone to canada in the 2nd year of my university to stay with my brother. He had retired and my brother had asked both of us to come stay with him. I could not because of my studies, so he sent me money every month. I stayed with my aunt the rest of my academic years as my mom had died when i was 1 year old.

It wasnt that Ali was always like that. He used to be a normal person until the 3rd year of university when he had made Ahmad his friend, that he became a little different. He asked me to marry him in the 3rd year. I was not ready for marriage yet but i had said yes to him because i was afraid of losing him. The first 6 months of our marriage were great. It was after that when he had met Ahmad who was an immigrant student from Saudia that he had changed drastically. Before that he had never commented on my sleeveless dresses. He liked me in them. He had no problems with me hanging out with my guy friends. He was my pride. I loved showing him off to my friends. They used to be so jealous. I dont know how he became this new person now. I felt shame in introducing him to any of my friends or colleagues from office. He just embarrased me now. Everything was so different now," i thought sadly. Ali, my feelings for him, our marriage. It made me really sad.

I realized that i had just asked him to give me a divorce. I had said that to him once before too but he ignored it completely and pretended like i never said that. It was not like i hated him. We had become very different people now and it was very difficult for me to spend a normal life with him now. I was slightly afraid of being away from him but i had a complete right to have a normal and happy life for myself. I needed to think about this divorce matter more deeply. With that thought in mind, i slept.

hi everybody! i hope you liked both the chapters. it is a short story so there will be only 4 chapters. i hope you liked Ali =p

please add it to your reading list and vote. thankyou! =))