Four - Oscar The Grouch

Fog covered the ground of the cemetery, your knees getting wet on the grass, water seeping through your black tights, "My grades are fine." You explained through two spoonful of rice, "There's something weird going on though." You swallowed, before proceeding, "I think he's a ghost. Nothing scary - or well, not the kind of scary you might think. He follows me around a lot and is weirdly creepy about wanting to find out about my dreams or whatever."

You stared at the well-groomed tomb thoughtfully, before shoveling another bite of rice into your mouth, "But his attempts are fruitless. There's nothing specific I want. At least nothing I can think of from the top of my head. And I mean, if I can't think of it right away, it can't be special, right?"

Of course, there was no answer from you mother's tomb, because unlike a certain someone was your mother a decent person and did not spook around as a ghost, like a creep.

"Do you really think he's a ghost?" You mused, "I mean, clearly he's something like that. He keeps saying how he died in the girl's bathroom. Gross." You closed the box with your breakfast, storing it away in your back pack safely, "But you're also dead, and you aren't a ghost. So why is he still around, annoying poor little girls?"

You stared at the polished stone for good two minutes before standing up, knees protesting after having sat in the wet grass for so long, "Well, whatever. I shouldn't spend so much energy on him. He's like... one of these little jerks from elementary school. You know, like the little boys who would annoy girls and go 'ew, girls are gross', just because they wanted their attention. He's like those." You shouldered your back pack, drying your hands on your jacket before turning around, "I'll handle him, somehow. Good bye mom!"

There was a phase where you'd felt silly for still talking to your mother like the delusional, eight-year-old you, who had refused to let go of her. But today you felt at peace with it - the feeling of having someone who cares about you listen to your rants whenever you wanted without-  well, without complaining felt calming to you.

___

"You came later today."

"AHHGH-" You jumped back when Jimin's head suddenly appeared in your field of view, "Would you PLEASE stop doing that???"

He grinned, eyes crinkling up charmingly - he had the kinda smile grandmas would swoon over, the kinda smile that would make them coo and pinch his cheeks, "We barely know each other three days and you already get so worked up over nothing, it's like we're a married couple already!"

"What the- no, that's definitely not it. Have you ever even seen a married couple?" You scowled at him, praying that no other student would suddenly get the idea of climbing to the very top of the school's staircase during break and catch you talking to yourself.

"Would you like to get married some day?" 

"What kind of question is that?" You pushed him away - promptly realizing that you couldn't actually physically push him.

"I don't know, some girls dream of getting married and having these beautiful, romantic weddings." Jimin retorted. You were starting to really get annoyed by his no-stop "do you like /insert random thing/" questions.

"Well, I don't." You puffed out.

"You don't like big weddings?" He dug deeper.

"I don't want to get married." You blurted out.

"Huh?" He smiled, "That's unusual." He cocked his head to the side, jet black hair falling into his face, "Why?"

"Doesn't concern you." Was your immediate reply.

"Hmf." Made Jimin, "You're really uncooperative, you now that?" The ghost swished back slightly, arms crossed behind his head as he floated over the stairs, eyeing you gloomily - he looked like a sulky child, honestly, "Such a killjoy."

You didn't answer, trying to occupy yourself with something else.

"You're like the Grinch." Jimin proceeded, taking your silence as a motivator, "Or Grouch from Sesame Street. Honestly, you've been mean all along."

"Because you've been nothing but annoying and creepy!"

Jimin shook his head, sighing deeply, "We'll have to learn how to get along soon, honey, I really can't work like that."

"Well, I don't want you to in the first place." You groaned, burying your face in your hands, "Just leave me alone."

Jimin swished closer again, his - in the direct sunlight slightly translucent - ghost hands hovering over yours, as if he meant to take them, "Look Troubles, is there really nothing you wish for?" His voice had gotten softer, startlingly so, and when you looked up you expected a soft smile.

But his oddly colored eyes were staring at you intensely, desperate glint in them when he awaited your answer.

"N-No. I told you time and time again."

He came closer, eyes hard, cold expression making your pulse pick up on pace, "This, doll, is impossible."

___

It was a terrible feeling - the uneasiness, that deep nervousness coming from the nearly-red pair of eyes staring you down from the back f the class. You were genuinely scared, but no one would be able to help you, because no one but you could see Jimin.

"What is an educator's main goal when raising a child?" Mr. Lee wandered through the classroom, as always, while listening to your answers, "We established things like intelligence, independence and confidence already - but what are these for?"

Some kids raised their hands, but you didn't dare to speak in the moment, Jimin's penetrating gaze making your hands feel like pinned onto the table.

"To allow their child to live a good life without their parents as well?" 

"Well said. Essentially, to prepare their child for a life in our society. What does the support of interests and talents have to do with it?" 

Jimin. Who even was Jimin? 

"Y/N? Do you have an answer, maybe?" Mr. Lee snapped you out of your thoughts, leaving you scramble for an answer that you didn't have.

Ryujin next to you raised her hand, "To help them find a job they can work in and have fun working in."

"Exactly. Y/N-" He really wouldn't leave you alone today, huh? "What interests of yours would you say have your parents supported you with?"

It was such an easy answer, yet you had to disappoint your teacher, "None. They aren't- uh, there wasn't anything. For me." 

Jimin's eyes glistened in interest, chin resting in his palms as he watched the interaction intensely.

It irked you that he seemed to having found usefulness in your probably most pathetic moment of the day.

"Oh well, that's unfortunate. Is it because you'd say your parents are generally unsupportive or because you don't have any special interests?" Mr. Lee kept on going and you really wanted to go home. Was this a conversation to be held in front of class?

"Uh, latter." You replied smartly.

The ghost, who was still sitting behind your teacher straightened up, knowing smile on his lips.

He said he died in the girl's bathroom? And he's wearing an old school uniform. 

You were sure that a student's death must be documented somewhere in school.

___

I've been working on the Little Dark Age sequel hehe

xx