Ch. 1 - First Impressions

This story will encounter harsh topics such as child abuse, rape, homophobia, conversion therapy, swearing, religious trauma, and age gaps. If any of these topics trigger you or make you uncomfortable please stop reading at this time.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

Rays of the warm sunshine peek through the stained glass windows of my church. My hands are in the air swaying to the beat of Kirk Franklin's "Revolution." All types of people are brought together every Sunday to listen to the word of God. On the stage in the center of the room are dancing women singing along to the music, and behind them is the pastor. The pews are lined with people singing their hearts out and clapping simultaneously.

As the song comes to an end a woman walks in. She has a small smirk on her face and carries a sense of spunkiness that most people don't. Based on her attire I would assume she didn't come to church often because she was not dressed like an average churchgoer. Instead, she had on a see-through crop top that revealed her braless nipples. She paired that with the tightest skinny jeans I have ever seen which drastically showed off her figure. Harsh glances and disapproving looks were thrown while she took a seat.

Visitors and new members of the church are always welcome but it is definitely rare to see them dressed like that. The pastor begins his closing sermon while everyone else remains silent. His voice booms through the church along with some whoops and hollers. We bow our heads as it is time for our benediction. There are slight whispers while everyone is having their conversations with the Lord.

A warm voice interrupts our thoughts by saying, "Wow I thought I would have burst into flames coming in here. I guess god needs some new security for gays." Eyes shoot open and gasps are heard all around the room. I turn my head and see that it's the same woman that walked in late. She is slouching in her chair with a lazy smile on her face like her outburst was hilarious.

"Excuse me, young lady. I don't know who you think you are but when you're in the presence of the lord you have some respect. Don't walk in here thinking you are hotter than hell itself and disrespect our service!" An elderly widow named Janice said. The woman replaced her smirk with a cold grimace and crossed her arms.

"First of all I'm a grown woman not a young lady. If you wanna address me call me by my name which is Imani. And i'm pretty hot so hell better move over," She says with a cheesy grin on her face. The church breaks out into loud mutters and angry chatter. Imani rolls her eyes at this.

"Now now church is this how we treat another sister through Christ?," says our pastor. The amount of silence that filled the room made me feel like everyone around me could hear my thoughts. "I believe i asked you all a question," Pastor Jackson spoke again.

Incoherent mumbles and various noes were heard amongst the church. Pastor Jackson continued by saying, "Alright then. Now we should be guiding this lost soul towards the light not darkness. So please pray for her salvation before resorting to anger."

Some people nodded their heads, others still gave dirty glares to Imani, while the rest stared ahead silently. A loud sucking of someone's teeth was heard and then a screech of a chair. Imani held her ground and said, "I don't need no saving. That's not what I came here for."

And with that she turned around and started walking. Somehow our eyes met and she winked at me. I swear she winked at me. She slightly smiled and continued her way to the exit. The door slammed shut and gone was one of the most peculiar women I have ever seen.

If she didn't come to church for praise and worship then what was she here for? And why in the world did she wink at me. Other church members noticed too because there were eyes burning into my head. I slowly sunk into my chair hoping that something would draw attention away from me.

After what felt like decades my pastor continued his final words. I got up and shook hands with some strangers and said "God bless you." I walked up to what I assumed were two sisters. "Good afternoon, I'm Mrs. Carter. I don't believe we've met." I said with a genuine smile.

"Oh no we haven't actually met. I'm Amanda Murray and this is my daughter Heaven," one of the women replied. I was shocked that she was a mother because of her appearance. With her curvaceous body, glowing skin, and bouncy curls framing her face it was hard to imagine she experienced motherhood.

Her daughter was staring at me with a curious glint in her eye. She said, "Uhm I think you're going to be my teacher in September." She sounded quite nervous when she had no reason to be. I don't think I give off evil teacher vibes but who knows. Her mom's face contorted into a look of anger.

"I didn't know you received information about your teacher's for this school year. You never tell me anything!" she exclaimed. Her voice raised higher to a higher pitch than it was just a few seconds ago.

"Hey go easy on her. I usually don't know who's in my classes until the first day. It's great she has an idea of who her teacher's are." I said with a slight chuckle.

Amanda seemed to have calmed down just a bit while Heaven was shifting her feet. It's awkward knowing I kind of started an argument between family members so I needed to leave. "Alright I'll see you next week," I said quietly. Amanda gave me a tight lip smile and a nod of the head.

That was all the confirmation I needed to head out so I went on my way. I felt someone staring at me and when I turned around there was Heaven watching me. But when I caught her eye she immediately looked to the ground. It was actually kind of cute. She looked up again so I waved. She shyly waved back.

I turned around for good this time and went outside. My keys were jingling in the pocket of my flowy dress. I took them out and unlocked my car. I sat there for a bit checking my makeup and turning on the radio. After I put my keys into the ignition and started my engine I noticed Heaven and her mom walking out.

Amanda had on an extremely angry look while she stormed to her car without looking back. Heaven lagged behind while holding her arm tightly. Our eyes met and she quickly hurried inside her mom's car. I couldn't help but think that whatever happened was my fault.

I decided then and now that I was going to make it up to them. I didn't know the how or when but it was going to happen. I felt like a stalker watching their car leave the almost empty parking lot, so I started driving. Soon after I arrived home and went inside.

I quietly shut the door praying my husband wouldn't be there. Every Saturday he leaves to do God knows what and returns at various times on Sunday. He would always turn up drunk and boy was he an angry drunk. I get no calls or texts about his whereabouts yet I'm expected to have food prepared when he returns.

I tiptoe up to my bedroom and change out of my itchy attire. I create a grocery list and make a mental note of visiting my future classroom soon. I like getting everything ready in advance, so I won't have any surprises on the first day.

A harsh slamming of the door interrupts my thoughts. I know it's time to meet my husband which will most likely end up in a screaming match. I accept my fate and leave my bed with a sigh. When I reached the bottom of the steps I saw my husband who was bloody and had a bottle of alcohol in his hands.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

This is my first time writing on Wattpad but I have been reading on this platform for some time now. If there is anything you'd like me to correct or work on please do so with kindness. With that being said I hope you enjoy this book as much as I enjoy creating it.

All characters in this story are completely fictional and created by me. I do not own any of the images used in this story unless stated otherwise. Any republishing or copying of my work is a violation of copyright.

-C :)