Ch. 2 - School Prep

"Anthony oh my gosh! What happened?" I nearly screamed. His basically empty bottle of Vodka slammed against the ground making me jump. Shards of the now broken glass spread all across the floor into tiny, sharp pieces.

He didn't even spare me a glance before slugging his body onto the couch. He kicked off his dirty business shoes onto the bright, red carpet. They used to be pitch black but were now buried in dirt. I didn't even want to know the type of trouble he had gotten himself into.

I decided to get the first aid kit so I could tend to his cuts and bruises. I scurried into the bathroom and reached up into the medicine cabinet. As soon as I grabbed what I was looking for I returned back to the living room.

Anthony was basically two seconds away for falling asleep so I needed to act quickly. I grabbed the hydrogen peroxide and poured some onto a cotton ball. Once the cold liquid attached to his skin Anthony let out a yelp.

"Goddammit bitch I don't have time for your bull. Don't touch me." He screeched. I was just trying to help him out but of course he didn't want that to happen. I continued cleaning the scrapes on his fingers and forearms regardless of his grunts and moans.

I was not trying to deal with him complaining about the consequences of his own actions in the morning. I can only hope God has better plans for this man child of a husband.

If he was going to bitch and moan like I was hurting him then he can sleep on the couch. It's not like I was going to carry him up the stairs anyways.

I carefully walked up the stairs and continued into my bedroom. I let out a heavy sigh as I shut the door. I went into the conjoined bathroom and splashed some water onto my face. I stared into my own reflection and I couldn't even recognize myself.

I used to be a strong, independent woman but now I'm being held back by my useless husband. I don't know how I let it get this bad. Anthony used to be such a sweetheart.

He swooped me off my feet one day after church. I played hard to get because I wasn't necessarily looking for a boyfriend but he didn't take no for an answer. Soon enough I fell in love with his charm, his warm smile, and his amazing sense of humor.

He got me. We blended perfectly together. Until we didn't. I thought he was the man I could settle down and have kids with. Obviously I did something wrong in order to deserve this.

Maybe I didn't pray hard enough. Maybe my tithes weren't enough money. I should pray for Anthony. Maybe God will open his eyes and we can be happy again.

I let my thoughts consume me as my back hit the soft, warm sheets of my bed. I sighed in relief and tried to convince myself my life wasn't that bad. After all I was perfectly healthy, made a decent amount of money, and still had a husband at home.

That should be enough to make any woman happy. Right?

I didn't realize how much time has passed until I heard shuffling downstairs. The sun was now up and as I checked my phone I saw that I slept through my alarm. Loud footsteps came quickly up stairs and I knew what was about to happen.

The smell of Anthony's cologne that used to intoxicate me now drowned any sense of peace I had left. Rough, harsh kisses that reeked of beer were a left on my neck and collarbone.

"Come on baby, why don't you wake up and please daddy? I know you want to." Anthony huffed. His disgustingly, raspy voice left chills on my back. He ran his large, clammy hands down the sides of my curves. I feel so guilty for feeling nasty while my own husband is touching me.

My mind was telling me to suck it up but my body was telling me to rip his balls off. Didn't the Bible say for women to submit to their husband's. Maybe this was just apart of womanhood.