34.1. The Blood of the Covenant . . .

Moana, The Southern Island, Crystalline
20 Years Ago

Toa knew he had to move. Knew he had to at least speak up, say something to help Awiyao and his companion out of this mess. Yet his body remained stock still next to Kaihautu, stood unmoving a little behind his father, his eyes fixed on Awiyao and the elderly Kadasan man—their spiritual leader, Toa thought to himself, albeit unsure—held still before the crowd, their hands bound behind them by ropes. Half a dozen Moanian men—some Kaihautu and Huatare's hunting companions, some warriors of their tribe, Toa recognized—stood close to each of the so-called intruders, holding them in place, a hand pressing down on each of their shoulders, one hand grasping each of the ropes that kept their arms tied at their backs.

    Toa opened his mouth in an effort to speak, yet no sound came forth, the words—an incoherent chaos of them—never making their way past his mind, blocked out from forming any sort of syllable in his throat.

"So tell us, Kadasans," Rangatira Kamaka was saying, "what brings you here to our land without prior notice?"

    The Kadasan spiritual leader—Toa was sure it was him now, the same one who had found him and Awiyao walking in the woods at night, after the Peace Festival, years ago—turned to Awiyao and spoke to him in a low voice, in their own language, then turned to face the Moanian chief and said, "Two of our villages were attacked. Enemies from across the ocean had laid waste one of our villages at the base of the Golot Mountains, and soon after our own village was attacked late last night by the same adversary, an army of them. Awiyao—my companion, Chief Dag-iw's son—and I had managed to escape as the battle began—"

    "How cowardly of you," interrupted a voice amongst the Moanians. Toa turned to Kaihautu, who went on to say, "The enemy has come into your village and the battle rages on, yet you both choose to flee and leave the rest of your brothers to fight for your people and your home. I tell you, Kadasans, if you wish to find refuge here, we have no room in our tribe for cowards who—"

    "Let them speak, Kaihautu," Toa said, before he could stop himself. And knowing he couldn't take back those words, and that everyone had heard, he said, "Perhaps they have good reason for being here. I think we better listen to what they have to say before we judge."

    Kaihautu opened his mouth to protest, but Rangatira Kamaka held a hand up, silencing his sons. "Enough," he said, the tone in his voice stern. "Kaihautu, Toa, now is not the time for an argument. I wish for no more disruptions after this." The chief then turned back to the Babaylan and Awiyao, and in the assurance of complete silence, he said, "Continue."

    The Babaylan drew in a breath, then said, "Chief Dag-iw, his wife Fas-ang, and I had decided that we must send Awiyao to Sanctuarium as soon as we could. It is only in Sanctuarium where we believe he will be safe, for that island, as we all know, is set apart for Elohim and the people he has anointed as spiritual leaders, a place for them to learn and train. All the nations of Crystalline had agreed and still keep to the treaty that Sanctuarium shall for ever be a land of peace and spiritual growth, a land where no battle shall ever take place, a land where no man or woman or child shall ever be slain by another, a land where those treated cruelly and without a home may find refuge. In hopes to preserve Chief Dag-iw's bloodline and in hopes of future redemption for our people, it is only the best decision that Awiyao take refuge in Sanctuarium until the enemy ceases to attack our land, or in Elohim's will and time Awiyao shall redeem the freedom of our people. Yet in the goodness of Awiyao's heart—"

    Toa caught Awiyao choke back a laugh, the edges of his lips turning up slightly into a little smile. At that, Toa held back a snicker, tried to keep a straight face. Yet no one paid him or Awiyao any mind; perhaps had not even noticed as the Babaylan went on—