~ C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R ~

"SURRENDER, NILSSON."

"Tch," I mutter in annoyance as I recognize the voice. His eyes flit to the sides- that's when I make my move. The smartest step for him in that situation was to keep his eyes trained on me- the moment he let me off the hook, I could turn it all against him- exactly like I will now. Wrapping my hand tightly around his neck, I kick his posterior malleolus- the back of his ankle, to be exact. He loses his sustenance of the ground, making him late to react by a few seconds- those few seconds are all I need. Twisting and pinning his arm at the base of his spinal column, I wriggle the revolver out of his grip and hold it at the back of his neck.

"Nice one," Wolfe mutters, as he emerges from behind me, initially behind Nilsson's car. Wolfe- he's doing some serious target practice.

"Good job there, with the bullet," I shrug at him, "You've finally caught up, Theodore."

Jeremiah freezes when he hears the last word of my sentence.

"Sexy albeit reckless moves that you're pulling, Isa," he sighs, "What happened to not being a damsel in distress?"

"I ain't being one," I shrug and scrunch my nose, "You were an interruption, a pain in the ass, stealing away half of the spotlight."

"Sanitize that attitude, Isa," Wolfe mutters, "Not the best thing to do when I'm in a sour mood."

"Ow?" I feign surprise and then grin at him, as I notice the dozens of gunmen around, their targets fixed on Jeremiah Nilsson- about six of them posted on the roofs of the hospital, a few from the top of the buildings on the other side, a couple from the corridors and about a dozen circling us. "You've got quite the troop, I see why people don't mess with you, Theodore."

"Oh no, you haven't," he smirks, looking at his feet, brushing me away.

"I really wish you could quit interrupting in anything I'm doing," I roll my eyes, pressing the gun harder intp Jeremiah's neck, "It's such a pain!" I pout. He rolls his eyes with a poker face and walks to the front, facing Jeremiah. Jeremiah struggles against my hold; I might look weak but I ain't all that much weak. "Fuckin' bitch," he mutters.

With my rage I am trouble best ignored, left alone until signs of submissive behaviour are offered. It builds inside me like deep water currents. I hold still, staring at Wolfe, eyes locked right on his. There is a wrinkle in my nose that has nothing to do with a coming sneeze, muscles tight, jaw clenched. When I move it's like an epic series of movie-stills, fists moving as my face contorts into an expression I've never worn before.

Jeremiah, decided to take advantage of the time when I was staring at Wolfe- he made the mistake of trying to move and overpower me. I kick the pit of his knee, the delicate popliteal fossa and he cries out in pain, the sound like melody in my ears. For every time he has exploited hopeful people, for every cent he has robbed them of- he must pay for his sins. As he loses his footing, I let go of his neck and push him forwards- he turns with the force and the bullet that is released bounces around the crowd and returns to my ears as I smile at the flow of crimson.

He howls.

I've shot his thigh and now he bleeds like a lost, stray puppy. He kneels on the ground, clutching his injured left thigh, probably regretting the thought of trying to take advantage of anything- either the hospital or the brief moment when I looked into Wolfe's eyes, allowing him to read the anger in my eyes. I kneel down on one knee- no, obviously not to propose to him. I smile at him, feeling the satisfaction kiss me like the most sensual of wine. "Your level of intelligence is my common sense, Nilsson," I shake my head, curling my lip in distaste.

An hour later, I'm in the passenger seat of an extravagant Ferrari Pinnafarina Sergio- an authentic open-top, it explicitly references the track, underscoring and intensifying its sense of sportiness, fun behind the wheel and the pleasure of design at its purest. I ignore the disappointed glances Wolfe shoots at me every ten seconds.

"If you wanna tell me something, just get it over with," I shrug in the seat, "It feels creepy to be stared at." He clicks his tongue, his face still reflecting his displeasure, "Glad that you're getting a taste of your own medicine."

"You sire, are the reason God created middle fingers," I turn my nose down on him, "Just get it over with," I sigh. He sighs too, in disapprobation, though. "Had I not been there, can you imagine what would have happened to you?" He says, looking perturbed to the farthest extent, "And you weren't making a move, either. I doubt if you're Isa, anyways- or did you expect me to swoop in and save you like a knight in shining armor?"

"Shining armor?" I laugh at his words and stare straight ahead, "You're all but an asshole in aluminium foil, okay?" I sneak a glance at him from the corner of my eyes- it seems like he's used to it. "Let's make something clear, Wolfe," I tell him solemnly, "I've lived all my life in a very independent and lonely state of mind, having no one to lean on," I voice out, pensively, "So don't you think that I'm fucking foolish enough to stand there without another thought."

"You're being that way again," he says with chagrin all over him, "You weren't alone; you never have been. It's always in your state of mind, you have always wanted it, nurtured it," he whispers contemplatively, "You've chosen to stay like that."

"You only know the part of me that I allow you to know, Wolfe," I snarl, "Don't make the mistake of thinking you're the one and only."

"Don't you still realize what you've done, Isa?" He shouts out in response, "CareMark is no hospital that is going out of favour," his hold on the steering wheel tightens, "You just shot it's manager to within an inch of his life," he whispers, "People will now come after you. This isn't the regular university brawl you've gotten yourself into," He suddenly applies the brakes harshly; that's when I see we're in front of my house, "I don't know what you were thinking. Why were you at CareMark? Why did you fight with Mr. and Mrs. Crimson? Why do you get yourself involved in something that has no connection with you at all?!"

I look into his eyes, a very analytical gaze. He stares back. I see nothing.

That's the issue.

I'm not supposed to be seeing nothing. There has to be a hint.

A FUCKING CLUE.

"So you did some background checking, huh?" I smile bitterly at his mention of the fallout with my parents, "Albeit not enough."

"You haven't yet answered my questions."

"Are you implying that I'm obligated to?" I growl brusquely, "Because I'd like to confirm that I don't care."

"AND IF YOU DON'T, WHY DID YOU GO ALL OUT FOR THE SULLIVANS, WHO DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU?!"

Black is the colour of comfort for the heart and soul, for when we are in total embrace, when we are so protected by love, we are in that most divine cocoon. Yet again, in his black eyes I see the accusations of a despondent confidante. I see a glimpse of the ghost that threatens me, jeopardizes my secrets. Hurriedly, I avert my eyes and feel his gaze weigh me down. Quickly, I open my side of the car and let my feet carry me away; as fast as they can.

I drown his voice out as I walk away.

Why did I go all out, as far as shooting a high-class manager of an elite hospital and meddling in consequential issues?

A/N:-

It's been really, really long. I KNOW.

Yeah so I'm very exhausted from school, and exams and stuff around. I had the chapters; I still have a lot of them but I just didn't find time to upload. And apologize, because I haven't updated since ages. Saw funnyteen8 's text on my MB, and yesh, darling, I'm bummed with the boards; they're starting from fifteenth of Nov.

I've thought of changing the book's name to Stalemate.

Sorry about the incredibly short author's note (I bet y'all are happy I'm not ranting tho), gtg!

~d😎👊🐤