°.•✮☽Eight☾✮•.°

A/N

Up above you can see a lovely drawing from ZappyZaps regarding the last chapter. I haven't received fanfic fanart in over three years, so this was a pleasant surprise!

Yes, this is an order. Make me more fanart.

I'm joking, I'm joking.

Or am I? 🤔

Anyway, the epilogue is already out by the time you're reading this, so don't stop reading after you finish this chapter, scroll down!

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

She stepped out of the woods, taking his hand in hers and walking down the dimly lit path towards the docks.

Jay, meanwhile, tried to hide his face from any sort of light, something that he unfortunately couldn't do due to the slowly rising sun.

Nya occasionally looked at him, yet it was only when she squeezed his hand that she noticed a change in his behaviour. Surely enough, his tail started wagging, something that he took too long to notice.

"Heh, dumb tails, am I right? Having minds of their own..." he said, grabbing his tail in an effort to stop its movement, only for the tip of it to start swishing around instead.

Nya could only laugh, but her happiness didn't last long.

She stopped at the edge of the dock, her eyes squinting at the sight of a boat in the distance.

"That's their boat," she said. "I mean, I haven't seen it before."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

He stepped forward, but she stopped him.

"Look, these guys have guns and spears, and all sorts of dangerous things. I want you to stay here just in case."

"Ssso we were arguing for like two days just for me to sstay here? Nya, let me help."

"You are helping," she said. "Just keep an eye out for me just in case, okay?"

Slowly, he nodded.

"Besides, I'll be fine. I'm a fast swimmer," she winked, making his heart skip a beat.

And as she leaned down to pivot her hand around the water, the rest of her body followed.

It didn't take long for her legs to be replaced with a tail, and he could only watch as she swam towards the deep.

Not even five minutes had passed and she had already made it to the boat. Despite the engine luckily being stopped, she could tell its captains had clearly been active still.

She made her way around to the front in order to get a better view.

"What don't you understand, idiot?" she heard the man in the straw hat tell the explorer. "I get the money, he gets his museum exhibits, and you get the fame. You're seriously starting to doubt yourself?"

The raven-haired man (Clutch Powers, was it?) crossed his arms. "Of course not! But it's the first time we're doing it with... you know..."

"Oh, please," Saunders, the elder man, said. "Species like them live up to hundreds of years. The 'kid' is probably already 100 years old!"

She rolled her eyes at the obviously false information, but hearing another voice protest was quite the surprise.

"Actually, I'm half human, so I'm nine." It was Lloyd's voice! She looked up to see him pouting from a cage. "It's you that looks 100 to me."