1- Roots

"Please" he pleaded "Please don't kill me", not a single part of you felt for him. You didn't even know him anymore. He looked awful, on his knees from his wounds, covered in blood and sweat, panting out of breath and begging you to spare him.

You didn't even feel bad about any of it, you felt powerful. A mighty, blinding kind of power, close to an all destroying rage, but peaceful, dangerous. Without hesitation and with a straight face, you drove your elegant, deadly dagger right through his heart. His eyes opened wide, filled with fear. You retracted your arm extended by your dagger and his lifeless body dropped to the ground.

You held your head high, put your dagger back where you so swiftly and unexpectedly drew it from just a second ago, strapped to your thigh. You looked around and in a smug voice you said "Anyone else who wishes to try?". As you spoke the thrilling challenging words, a low rumbling roar sounded from behind you, "I thought not".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 years before

You were sitting in the dining hall of castle black, eating whatever it is they call dinner tonight, something with meat. As you swallow bite after bite you fiddle with your dagger attached to your belt, you need to sharpen it.

Lost in your thoughts you are caught slightly off guard by Benjen loudly sitting down right beside you. "How do they expect us to be on our best behaviour when the king comes if they keep feeding us this stuff" he laughs and looks over at you while taking his first bite "What in the seven hells even is this?".

You snap out of your thoughts and look over at him, you smile. "Who knows". He smiles back and gives you a quick half sort of hug, "Whatever, I'm glad you made it back" he says, "Not that I expected any different from my ..." he stops, "Daughter?" you say while raising an eyebrow, "Right, sort of" he looks at you with a warm smile.

15 years ago, when you were three, you were brought here to the nights watch. The youngest resident of castle black, nobody knows who left you here. Grand maester Aemon had found you in the snow and brought you into the castle, from what he told you, there had been a bit of an argument if you were staying but here you are.

Grand maester Aemon never told you, or anyone, if you had any kind of message with you when you were left at the doorstep, only what your name was. You didn't care, whoever left you didn't want you anyway.

Benjen immediately took a liking to you and he became the closest thing you had to a father, he trained you since the moment you could walk and he is the reason you are castle blacks best ranger. You owe him a lot.

Being the only female at castle black isn't easy, but you always had Benjen to protect you until you learned to protect yourself. Besides Benjen you had other friends here, you got along with most of the men just fine but you always had one best friend.

His name was Jason Stone, he was a bastard from the Vale, as his last name indicated.

Because no one knew who your parents were and the only thing that was left with you on the doorstep was your name, your surname was Waters, the surname bastards from the Crownlands got.

The crownlands consisted of King Landing and Dragonstone, you and everyone assumed you came from Kings Landing, the Capital.

Jason came to castle black when you were about eight, you became inseparable friends and would do everything together.

But one day, when you were about 13 and Jason about 15, soldiers from Kings Landing came down to castle black and asked a bunch of people to come fight for them in the capital.

Jason was strong and a good fighter, he went with the soldiers, you haven't seen or heard from him since. It broke your heart just to think about him. And how he never reached out again.

"When does the big man arrive anyway?" You asked. "Hmm?" Benjen had a mouth full of food, you could tell from his expression he was asking what you were talking about. "The king" you said "When does he get here?". "Ahh" Benjen had finished his bite "The day after tomorrow I believe "Heard he had a request to make you". "Me?" I was surprised "What could the king possibly wants from me?". "Don't know" Benjen mumbled with an already half full mouth of food "Ned told me".

Ned was Benjen's brother, his name was lord Eddard Stark, highborn. Benjen his surname was also Stark but that didn't really matter here. "Must be true then" you said and Benjen looked up at you "I bet high lord Eddard Stark only ever tells the truth" you said as stuffy as you could. Benjen laughed and gave you an elbow in your side "Be on your best behaviour young lady" he said with a serious face "Ned and the king are good friends". "I will I will" you said while laughing, the rest of the evening you laughed and joked about kings and high lords.

The next morning you woke up before the first light, it was a habit you picked up beyond the wall. You had just been on a mission for the last two weeks, your sleep schedule wasn't going to be normal for a while. You threw the big fur blanket off of you and rolled out of bed. You stood in front of your mirror and looked at your reflection.

You hadn't seen yourself for the last two weeks. You didn't change much, you lost weight of course since there wasn't exactly good food beyond the wall, it was always freezing. You tattoos looked good, except for the one on your right upper arm.

It was a swarm of four birds, you got one bird for every time you went beyond the wall and came back. One of the birds was sliced in two because of an injury you got on this mission. "Suppose I should get another one" you said to yourself. There was a man at the castle who knew how to do these tattoos. His name was Leandros, he was a very large man and looked rough. He was probably sent here for murdering someone or something.

The tattoos hurt but you loved them so you didn't mind, you had gotten serval since Leandros arrived at the wall about a year ago. Besides your birds you had a raven, the sigil of castle black on your left inner arm and a snake wrapped around your wrist. The snake didn't have meaning like the others but you liked it a lot.

You decided to get another bird done today, you got dressed and headed downstairs to see Leandros. You skipped breakfast and headed straight towards him. By the time your new bird was finished it was noon and you went into the woods to hunt.

Benjen had been teaching you how to since you could walk and you became the best huntress in the castle, some men even said in the north, you didn't believe them. Over the years, you also became a really good fighter because of the training you got at castle black.

As you were walking back to the castle with your freshly caught rabbit in your hand, the sun was setting. The castle seemed quieter than usual. The sound of clashing swords, men fighting and grunting and the usual swearing were gone. You quickened your pace, why didn't you hear anything?

AUTHORS NOTE: Hello! This was the first chapter of my very first book, I hope you liked it! I don't know what happened but I lost my first published version of this chapter so I had to re-write it :) If you have any comments or suggestions for the story please let me know! I would love to hear from you xx