4 - The hunt

The next morning you woke up early, you were nervous because of what you had agreed to yesterday. Castle Black was your home, you didn't know the South.

The king had explained the whole plan yesterday after you agreed, you were going to travel with the king and lord Stark to Kings Landing. But first you were going to make a stop at Winterfell. The king had asked lord Stark to be his new hand and he had obviously accepted or he wouldn't be here.

You didn't hear the king talking about Jon in any of it, you caught yourself hoping he would join you on your journey. Not to mention Benjen, you weren't ready to just leave him and maester Aemon behind. But you knew for a fact maester Aemon wasn't going to travel with you south, he was way too old for any traveling.

The hunt with the king was starting in a few hours, you got dressed in you favourite hunting suit again. But this time you did wear the hunting cloak and your quiver with it. You tucked your silver locket inside your suit, that way there wouldn't be any light reflecting from it scaring the animals. You put your gloves on and stepped outside.

You went downstairs to the armoury to fill your quiver up with arrows. As you were counting arrows in your head you felt a breath in your neck.

You shot your head around only to stand eye to eye with Jon once again. "You shouldn't sneak up on someone trained in killing you know" you said while letting out a sigh of relief.

"At least you didn't draw out your dagger this time" he laughed and looked around the armoury. He was right, you always did that.

"I do hope my hunting partner isn't the king" he said. "And why is that?" you asked, only just remembering that the king liked to hunt in pairs to see who would do better.

"Because that way I wouldn't have a choice but to let the king win of course" he said, you rolled your eyes. "Are you going to use that hawk of yours?" he looked at you with big eyes, he was probably hoping to see it.

"No I won't" you said, "In fact he hasn't returned yet". You threw your quiver over your shoulder and started strapping all your daggers in place.

"Alright well I'll see you in the courtyard then" Jon laid a hand on your shoulder and walked out of the armoury. You caught yourself smiling. 'Stop it' you thought.

After you finished in the armoury you walked over to Leandros, "Another one so soon?" he laughed. You smiled back, "No not yet" he nodded. "I'm going on a hunt today and I wanted to ask you to bind my newest one". "But of course" he walked over to a wooden table and grabbed a strap of cloth walking back to you.

Whenever you got a new tattoo done and you went hunting Leandros strapped in your newest art. It was to help with the friction of you hunting suit and make sure nothing happened to your new tattoos.

You fiddled with your suit so that your upper arm was free, Leandros put the cloth around your flock of birds and you put your suit fully on again. "Thanks" you walked out into the courtyard.

Still fiddling with your suit a bit you saw the king, lord Stark, Benjen, the lord commander and Jon getting ready and on their horses. Jon looked at you and then at you fixing your suit. He raised his eyebrow, you winked back.

Saying nothing you began readying your horse as well. "Now let's talk hunting partners shall we?" the king began. "I myself will go with Jeor" lord commander Mormont nodded, "My pleasure your grace".

"Right, Ned you can go with your brother", Benjen slapped lord Stark on his shoulder and they laughed. "And that leaves Snow and our huntress". You looked over at Jon, he looked back and smiled 'Great, I'll show him'

The pairs parted in the woods and you and Jon began riding inwards. "So tell me Snow" you started, "Jon is fine" he said. "Tell me Jon" he smiled "Do you hunt?" you asked.

"Not a lot I don't, I'm more of a fighter myself" he said while looking around. "I take it you know where we are going?" he looked over at you. "Not to worry" you laughed "I'm in these woods almost everyday, I know it better than anyone".

You and Jon talked for a while until he looked around and realised you went into the woods deeper than the other pairs, you noticed.

"We're almost there" you said while looking straight forward, he looked over at you. "I don't doubt your navigation huntress" he said. "Alena is fine". He smiled at you.

"We're going deeper into the woods than the others because all the large prey will notice them hunting at the edge" you began, "They'll flee deeper into the woods, normally the hunters don't go back here". "Except for you" Jon said. You laughed "Exactly".

"We're here" you got off of your horse, Jon followed your example and bound the horses to a fallen tree. You sat down on your knees and looked at the tracks beneath you. "Looks like we're in luck" you said while looking up at Jon.

"Other than being paired up with you, why is that?" he smiled. You rolled your eyes and pointed at the pointed tracks at your feet. "Do you know what that is?" you asked him. "No clue" he looked at the tracks, "But I have a feeling you can tell me just fine". You sighed, "Fine, that right there are the tracks of a stag", Jon looked exited. "And by the looks of it they're fresh" you said looking back at the tracks.

"So the others must have driven it to these parts of the woods" Jon said. You looked at him surprised, "So you do listen". "I never said I didn't" he winked.

Before you could answer you grabbed Jon by his cloak and dragged him down to your level. "Whoa a bit soon don't you think" he said jokingly. "Shh" you put your hand on his mouth for him to be quiet.

You pointed with your other hand right ahead of you. There was standing an enormous, beautiful stag between the trees. His antlers were gigantic and the sun shone trough them beautifully.

As you lowered your hand from Jon's face you could see his eyes opening wider. You signed for him to stay quiet as you slowly and very low to the ground got a little closer to the stag.

You carefully took your bow and reached for an arrow. You put the arrow to your bow, drew the string all the way to your cheeks and aimed. You held your breath and waited for the right moment. The stag now stood perfectly in your aim. You let your breath go and with it the arrow flew from your bow.

AUTHORS NOTE: Hii that was the chapter! I hope you liked it, I'm still not sure about how long to make the chapters so if you have any suggestions or other ideas feel free to let me know! I will be writing the next chapter after this so it should be published pretty soon. xx